Messenger bag for short person

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Hi all -

I've been searching for a good bag for my MBP. I have a backpack but it's old and not very user-friendly. I bought a Sherpani backpack but in my opinion it doesn't offer much protection. It's nice, but the flap doesn't cover the bag on the sides - so what's the point?

I'm short - 5'2" so I don't want something enormous. I want to be able to carry my MBP, charger, mouse, some papers for work, and a few other small items. an external water bottle holder would be a bonus but not a necessity. I'm also left-handed so I carry my bag on my right shoulder - so many bags I've seen are designed to be carried on the left shoulder so the extra "quick-access" pockets don't work for me. Not a deal breaker, but something that is annoying at times.

I've looked at Crumpler, Timbuk2, TomBihn, Tumi, Brenthaven, etc. They all are nice but I'm still undecided. I'm not against another backpack but the messengers seem to be easier to access stuff inside.

yes, I'm picky. I don't want something too bulky. I want something casual but also something that is professional and functional. I like the funky style of the bags I mentioned - I'm a girl but not girlie.

So...any suggestions? A lot of the threads I've read are outdated so I need fresh info.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use the Tumi Model 5112 (link here, mine is in black).

This has a removable inner pocket for a notebook computer, and I removed it in favor of using a Waterfield Designs MacBook Sleeve. That way, I have something safe to carry my MacBook around if I don't want to carry my messenger bag. (My experiences with Waterfield have all been perfect-- excellent product and customer service to match.)

The Tumi messenger bag is very light and expandable. Tumi calls it "large capacity," but that's in reference to its expandability. It's not at all huge in its "natural state."

I've had this bag for almost 2 years and it's great. My previous Tumi bag lasted over 10 years where it was subjected to all sorts of abuse during international travel. The best thing about Tumi is their warranty-- if anything goes wrong with the product while you have it, they'll fix it. Period.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a MB or MBP? The Tumi site doesn't list the MBP as being compatible with this bag. Just curious - it certainly is nice.

I also love waterfield sleeves - had one for my Asus (actually still have it - need to sell it - too bad my mac won't fit in it!). Great company, great products. Their bags are just too "businesslike" for me.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have a MacBook. The sleeve that comes with the Tumi is 14" wide, but it's made of a foamy material with nylon over it so there's a bit of stretch to it.

Frankly, the sleeve that comes with the Tumi bag takes up too much interior space, which is yet another reason I don't use it.

They sell the Tumi model at the Apple Store, btw (well, my local Apple Store anyway) if you wanted to check it out in person.

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

I bought my wife a crumpler "Considerable Embarassment" for her 15" Laptop. She is not quite 5' (so, you are not that short) and the bag doesn't look too bulky on her.

For myself, I have a 12" Powerbook. So I go with a crumpler 12" School hymm and the "Barney Rustle Blanket". http://www.crumpler.ca/Cart/Views/productpagev2/popupImage.php?img=/Cart/Resources/CartResources/181_res/b181_o10102_ai76.jpg&caption=Books The School Hymm gave me flexibility if I just want to carry my PB around.

I think the Barney Rustle Blanket can fit a MBP with a 15" Hymm Book.

Personally, I like Crumpler products a lot as I found the material is robust and easy to clean.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome - thanks! I've found that Tumi bag on ebay - and my local apple reseller sells the crumpler bags so I will check out the considerable embarassment - that's one that I was looking at anyway - glad to hear it's not as big as it looks.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Crumpler gets my vote. I love their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Someone said they just got the Be-ez LaRobe sleeve case in 'sweet' color. This bright pink is the one I want to get when I get my MacBook. :mac:

(sorry, wrong thread, not messenger bag!)

larobe-pink_photos.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.