Finder quitting

Reaction score
I updated my my 12 inch iBook G4 (10.4.8) last night and after rebooting it, it seems like any thing that has to do with browsing files crashes my Finder.

Anything at all that lets me access my files crashes it; I try command-n for a new finder window, browse through file > open in other programs.

Anybody experiencing this also? Anybody know how to fix this?

I also already tried putting into single-user mode and deleting the com.apple.finder.plist.

Thanks in advanced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you downloaded any third party apps lately.... like stuffit????

Welcome to the Forums Darin!

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, I have stuffit on my system. But I have had it for about a year now without a problem until tonight when I updated some stuff with software update. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It does not sound like it is a Stuffit problem if you have had that installed for such a long time.

If you'd like you can delete the com.apple.finder.plist file which is located in the following path:

/Users/HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Doing this will delete all of your finder preferences (column widths, default views, etc).. which to me is not a big deal at all.

If you'd like to be extra safe... just drag the file to the desktop instead of deleting it...

After moving or deleting the file... log-out, then back in. See if the problem is "cured".

Finder will automatically generate a new .plist file where you moved/deleted the old one... if you decide you want to use the original .plist file... just delete the newly generated .plist, and move the original back to where it goes.

Let us know if that helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, I've already deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file and still nothing. All I want to do is browse my files so I can put them on a disk and reformat my computer but I can't even browse my files :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
You might want to open Console and look through the logs for an answer. I would also try opening Disk Utility after booting from the OS DVD and repair the disk. If that doesn't work, try an Archive & Install. It sounds like some critical Finder files were corrupted, likely due to a hard drive issue. Repairing the disk will mark those sectors as bad, causing the OS to avoid using them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.