Airport Self Assigned IP address

Reaction score
I found some questions about this in the forums, but I didn't find any definitive answer so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm having problems connecting to my 2Wire 2700GH-E router. Whenever my computer shuts down or goes to standby, when I reconnect, I just have a "self assigned ip" and can't connect to the internet, though I am connected to the router. Restarting the router works fine, but I can't do this every time i want to shut my computer down. I know it's not the router though because all my windows companions have no problems. The firewall is not running so could not be a problem.

Any thoughts? It's very frustrating.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Network
Find the TCP/IP tab
Make sure it is set to Use DHCP
When it is not working, there is also a button here to Renew DHCP Lease

I have seen a couple of posts related to this since I have been here, they had been resolved, but never posted back the exact fix they used.

I in fact had the same issue, but did several things, so not sure which one resolved it. I think it was setting up my network in my Preferred List and deleting my neighbors networks from the list.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have my network at the top of my preferred list, it's set to dhcp. When I see the IP, it's way out of the 192 range that my router would normally give me. I can renew the lease but that just renews the lease on the same IP, it doesn't actually give me a new one.

It's really random, sometimes my internet works all the time, then all of a sudden I'll get the "self assigned ip".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To cure a self-assigned IP, you need to do than just reset/restart the router.
You will need to power-cycle the entire setup.
Look here for instructions on how to do it properly if you aren't sure:

Power Cycling

OP
T
Reaction score
that's all fine and dandy... restarting my router works perfectly. but I refuse to restart my router every time i close my laptop lid, open it, and want to work again. Windows doesn't have to do this, why does my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If the problem is persisting, then obviously simply restarting your router is not working perfectly.
Again, Power Cycling the setup is more than just restarting your router. Doing so should cure you of needing to restart your router each time. Self-assigned IP's can happen to any computer and any OS. It happens to my Windows systems as well as my Mac on rare occassions.

Reaction score
Not A Router Problem

I've been struggling with the same error code after running succesfully for a couple of years. I have the problem (self assigned IP) regardless of where I'm connecting...office, home, local coffee shops, etc. It's not router specific. Plus, I cannot renew the DHCP lease.

Reaction score
More than likley WEP

Are you using WEP? I have the same problem with a MacBook, PowerBook, and MacBook Pro. The only "easy" way I have found so far is to rejoin the network and enter the WEP key again. I then get a valid IP. Turn off WEP and you don't have the problem. I have heard that changing to WPA may work.

I think this problem is partly due to the 2Wire equipment and it's fuzzy compatibility with Apple Airport cards. As you can see I have three generations of Airport cards from old school G to new school N and they all have this problem with 2wire equipment. Not only a 2700 but the older 1000 series as well.

forgueam

iNET Code Serf
Reaction score
After purchasing a new iMac a few months back and having no problems whatsoever, I just started getting this error two nights ago and have not been able to resolve it.

I have my iMac connecting wirelessly to a LinkSys WRT54G router with DD-WRT installed. My wireless network has a WPA-PSK password and restricts access based on MAC addresses.

One of four things happen when I try to get AirPort to connect:
1) It gets the correct IP address, but the internet still does not work. (this is rare)
2) It gets a self-assigned IP address (169.xxx, you know the story)
3) I get prompted for the network password and it then tells me "Invalid password" (and yes, I am putting in the correct password)
4) I get prompted for the network password and it then tells me "Connection timed out".

Again, I changed nothing; this just started occurring out of the blue. I've tried a bajillion things:

- Restarting modem, router, computer, powercycling, etc.
- Removing all security measures from wireless network (password, MAC filtering, etc.)
- Manually specifying IP address
- Deleting files in /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration

I should note that all of the other (windows) machines in my house still connect and work fine. Also, AirPort still seems to be scanning properly because it recognizes all of the nearby networks.

I'm totally bummed out about this, so if anyone has suggestions outside of what I've already tried, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Aaron

forgueam

iNET Code Serf
Reaction score
I finally figured out a solution for my problem: changing the frequency (channel) of my access point.

I did a scan of the nearby access points and their channels using NetStubmler (on windows) and chose a new channel that was not being used by anyone else. After doing this my iMac started connecting without any issues.

Hope this helps!

Aaron

Reaction score
Getting rid of WEP worked for me!

I have a DLink WBR-1310 and Leopard 10.5.4 on my Macbook Pro and was experiencing the same "Self-Assigned IP" problem after having had my MBP and router for at least a year and having no problems. I went into wireless settings and changed my encryption to "WPA2 Wireless Security (Enhanced)". Under the "Cipher Type" I selected "AUTO" and set it to "Personal". I created a passphrase, confirmed it, and saved my settings. It re-started my router, I entered the new passphrase* and it connected no problem! I was really excited, and thankful to have found all I could on this site about the problem, so I decided to post my exact solution for those who were having the problem!

Thanks!!

*This window requested a "WEP Password". I entered the WPA passphrase I set up previously though and all worked just fine! Any explanation to this?

Reaction score
For someone who knows very little about a mac and is having the problems described here, can someone explain the best solution in lamens terms? I use a belkin wireless router and it was unplugged by accident. Since then my imac refuses to connect. It picks up the network (after much connection timed out etc) and self-assigns an IP but still won't go. Ive done everything I can think of. There are 3 other macs in the household and 1 windows, all have no probs. I really need it fixed! If someone can help me I'd be eternally grateful!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this and have had the same problem 'Self Assigned IP' (192.xxx). I must've read every single thread on this subject trying to fix it. So, hopefully this will help someone.

I have a new Macbook (leopard) and for the first 2 weeks no problems connecting to existing router (netopia) at home. Then it happened for no reason at all. ISP helpdesk tried to say Airport or Router software problem...???

• Tried rebooting both - didn't work
  • My network was my preferred network, so ok
  • My fixed Ethernet connection was good, so router works
  • Kept my WEP (28?) security, didn't change
  • Changing firewall setting - didn't work
  • Renew 'DHCP release' - didn't work
  • Deleting files in /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration - didn't work
  • Didn't mess with MAC/AppleTalk etc - too hard
  • Creating new locations - didn't work

What I did do under 'Network Preferences' under Ethernet on left - was make a note of all settings, IP address (for me a .7 suffix), Subnet, Router etc
  • Then under AirPort, click on Advanced, then 'TCP/IP' select Manually assign under DHCP (IPv4), tried to choose an IP address (previous post had suggested this as possible (didn't work at first)
  • Then logged on to router with browser (192.xxx) - ISP will help with this and buried deep I found an IP address that seemed to be allocated to wireless (.6 suffix)
  • Back into 'Network Pref' - select AirPort again, entered the .6, copied other info, then 'DNS' tab, and again used info from the Ethernet that i knew worked.
  • Problem gone away, now works everytime.

Reaction score
I had my password misspelled. Try that, pretty simple but it worked for me.

Reaction score
Are you using WEP? I have the same problem with a MacBook, PowerBook, and MacBook Pro. The only "easy" way I have found so far is to rejoin the network and enter the WEP key again. I then get a valid IP. Turn off WEP and you don't have the problem. I have heard that changing to WPA may work.

I think this problem is partly due to the 2Wire equipment and it's fuzzy compatibility with Apple Airport cards. As you can see I have three generations of Airport cards from old school G to new school N and they all have this problem with 2wire equipment. Not only a 2700 but the older 1000 series as well.

IT WORKED!! THANKS SO MUCH:DDD
I've been searching for solutions for month and I gave up.
today I did a new search because I'm so fed up and I found yours work for me! I am a happy girl now~

Reaction score
how to fix mac airport self assigned IP

Well for what i try, is first i connect my Ethernet to my computer and check the IP address, i copy it then go to Aiport advance. Head to TCP/IP and click Using DHCP with manual address. Paste the IP address u copy from the Ethernet and apply the saving. You should be able to connect to the internet now. Go back to TCP/IP and switch the DHCP with manual address to DHCP(the normal 1 at the top) then try Renew DHCP Lease. This should change your IP address back to normal the way it should be. So far thats how i fix my self assigned IP. Hope this helps anyone who have this problem

Reaction score
I had this problem just the other day and after 4 calls to Apple, it is finally fixed. They couldn't give me a reason for why it was happening, but I thought I'd post anyway for anyone having this issue. After countless tests they figured out that it was a software issue. They did things like reset the settings, take the Systemconfig folder out and restarting, turning the router off for 10 secs and then back on, etc...but nothing helped!

I then tried reinstalling Mac OSX and putting my time machine backup on, but since that backup was from when it wasn't working it went back to its old self. In the end they got me to reinstall Mac OSX but only put my user data from time machine on the install, so unfortunately I lost all my applications and settings BUT it works, so I was happy. :)

Apple were very helpful and went through it step by step which was nice as I have only had a Mac for a few months. Anyways, I hope this helps someone who is having the same issue. :) Good luck!

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I've been struggling with this problem for a couple of days, also running the Leopard, and after trying a number of things, this worked for me. Clever solution. Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to this and have had the same problem 'Self Assigned IP' (192.xxx). I must've read every single thread on this subject trying to fix it. So, hopefully this will help someone.

I have a new Macbook (leopard) and for the first 2 weeks no problems connecting to existing router (netopia) at home. Then it happened for no reason at all. ISP helpdesk tried to say Airport or Router software problem...???

• Tried rebooting both - didn't work
  • My network was my preferred network, so ok
  • My fixed Ethernet connection was good, so router works
  • Kept my WEP (28?) security, didn't change
  • Changing firewall setting - didn't work
  • Renew 'DHCP release' - didn't work
  • Deleting files in /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration - didn't work
  • Didn't mess with MAC/AppleTalk etc - too hard
  • Creating new locations - didn't work

What I did do under 'Network Preferences' under Ethernet on left - was make a note of all settings, IP address (for me a .7 suffix), Subnet, Router etc
  • Then under AirPort, click on Advanced, then 'TCP/IP' select Manually assign under DHCP (IPv4), tried to choose an IP address (previous post had suggested this as possible (didn't work at first)
  • Then logged on to router with browser (192.xxx) - ISP will help with this and buried deep I found an IP address that seemed to be allocated to wireless (.6 suffix)
  • Back into 'Network Pref' - select AirPort again, entered the .6, copied other info, then 'DNS' tab, and again used info from the Ethernet that i knew worked.
  • Problem gone away, now works everytime.

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue as everyone here, but my problem is that I use the wireless internet provided to me in my university dorm, so I can't exactly go and unplug the router! :) Anyways, I tried many solutions but this was the one that worked!

Well for what i try, is first i connect my Ethernet to my computer and check the IP address, i copy it then go to Aiport advance. Head to TCP/IP and click Using DHCP with manual address. Paste the IP address u copy from the Ethernet and apply the saving. You should be able to connect to the internet now. Go back to TCP/IP and switch the DHCP with manual address to DHCP(the normal 1 at the top) then try Renew DHCP Lease. This should change your IP address back to normal the way it should be. So far thats how i fix my self assigned IP. Hope this helps anyone who have this problem

Reaction score
Self-Assigned IP address fix

I tried the resetting of my modem, my modem and router, full power downs, manual IP address changes, renewing DHCP lease, none of these things worked. The router people said my router firmware was up to date and every diagnostic check I tried on my computer kept telling me it was my isp. The one thing I didn't try was resetting my router back to the factory default. After I tried that it fixed the problem for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.