Airport Self Assigned IP address

Reaction score
Airport self assigned IP address and lack of internet connectivity

Hi all,
My wife and I have been going through this same issue for two days. She called her tech support guy and he said:

1. Turn off the airport
2. Hold down the power button to power down the machine
3. Turn on the machine
4. Turn on the airport

And it worked! He explained, get this, that the machines sometimes carry too much static electricity and that interferes with the airport connectivity. Turning off airport and forcefully powering down the machine by holding in the power button discharges that electricity.

So if your firewalls are all disabled, and you are still getting this problem on your macbook, give this a shot.

Reaction score
Self-assigned IP address solution

This is what I did to solve my "Self-assigned IP address" problem on my MacBook after spending about 3 1/2 hours the other day with tech support (who were very helpful but could not solve my problem):

1. Located my router's IP address (should be on the back of the router, but I found mine when going into my router settings on my desktop). In my case it was 192.168.0.10.

2. I then clicked on System Preferences">"Network">"Airport" and the "Advanced" tab at the bottom.

3. I then clicked on the "TCP/IP" tab and under "IPv4", selected "Using DCHP with manual address." Then I typed in my router's address (again, in my case it was 192.168.0.10). I then clicked "OK" and was able to connect to the internet when typing in my WPA password after selecting my network.

I hope this will be helpful to someone. If this does not work, keep searching the internet for a solution. I found my solution on a forum just like this. God bless.:)

Reaction score
Probably no use to anyone but I've had the same problem and decided to have a good look at my modem.
I saw that the cable was connected to Lan2, the provider said it should be connected to LAN3 or LAN4.
So I switched LAN's and now everything works perfectly again.

Reaction score
I'VE JUST SENT IN A SIMILAR PROBLEM. I'm going to give it a try, basically copy the info from Ethernet connection?
Hope I've understood everything..
Then under AirPort, click on Advanced, then 'TCP/IP' select Manually assign under DHCP (IPv4), tried to choose an IP address (previous post had suggested this as possible (didn't work at first)
Then logged on to router with browser (192.xxx) - ISP will help with this and buried deep I found an IP address that seemed to be allocated to wireless (.6 suffix)
Back into 'Network Pref' - select AirPort again, entered the .6, copied other info, then 'DNS' tab, and again used info from the Ethernet that i knew worked.
Problem gone away, now works everytime.

Reaction score
You can try to give your Mac a static IP (just make one up), then save the settings and turn off the airport. Restart the computer, then make DNS-dynamic again. This have worked for several of my users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.