Update on my heat issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Here's an update on what I considered to be heat issues in several places with my new Macbook.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54048

As far as the heat of the machine, apparently that's normal. I dwnld'd a fan monitoring app that shows it's running cooler than a lot of other peoples.

But for the interesting part, I thought the power pac was getting really hot and that where it plugged in to the MB was looking possibly...corroded. And even a few times the light there wouldn't turn on right away (but I thought that was my imagination). So I took it into the apple store. They looked at the power cord and right away see that one of the little prongs isn't sticking up all the way. Since it wasn't connecting properly it was "arcing" across the space. Not too safe. So they replaced that half of the power cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
is weird, i havent had any heat issues and i run 24/7 Folding at home SMP client which pegs my cpu at %100, fan always on high and no probs yet

Knock on wood!

Ben

Reaction score
You never actually mentioned how hot the processor is running and what the fan speed is. Despite that fact, the processor's temperature can be totally unrelated to how hot the casing is. The conventional term changed from laptop to notebook because these units do get hot and manufactures don't want them on their customer's lap. I work for Dell and a big biggie is overheating issues that are happening because customers have it on their lap or other parts of their body. If you're going to have it on your lap, then buy one of those stands to rest your MacBook on.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
You never actually mentioned how hot the processor is running and what the fan speed is. Despite that fact, the processor's temperature can be totally unrelated to how hot the casing is. The conventional term changed from laptop to notebook because these units do get hot and manufactures don't want them on their customer's lap. I work for Dell and a big biggie is overheating issues that are happening because customers have it on their lap or other parts of their body. If you're going to have it on your lap, then buy one of those stands to rest your MacBook on.

Thanks, that's good to know. I never would have guessed that the processor heat is unrelated to casing heat. I've noticed the fan on the most when I'm uploading my CD's to iTunes. That really gets it cranking.

I do use mine in my lap all the time. I think it's hysterical that "laptops" are not for your lap! Really the only reason I wanted one was so that I could move around the house while chasing my kids and take it with me. Well in a house with little kids, trust me, my lap is the safest place! And if not in my lap, where in a house can you use it? Not on a pillow, bed, rug... Only on a table or a non-rug floor. oooh, so comfy. So what's the point almost? Commuters can't use it on the train...? I get your point though. I can get a clipboard to put it on to make sure it's on the proper type of surface.

BTW my fan speed has yet to go above 1800 and for heat hasn't gone over 80C. So it's cooler than other people's reports here. I thought I mentioned it in the orig post, but I may have neglected to...

Thanks again,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.