How to disassemble Wired "Mighty Mouse" and clean it

Reaction score
How to disassemble Wired "Mighty Mouse" and clean it _PROPERLY_

It defies logic, as to why Apple designed a mouse which uses an optical sensor for tracking... but then took a MASSIVE step backwards in technology, and topped it off with a scroll mechanism which uses *BALL MOUSE* technology, and then they _GLUED IT SHUT!!_. To say that this is illogical, and hard to clean effectively, is an understatement. You _WILL_ eventually, lose scroll in one direction or another - trust me. If a picture paints 1000 words, then think what a video can do for you!.

Im just in the process of rendering my tutorial, in iMovie HD, on how to disassemble and clean (properly!) your wired "Mighty Mouse". Please note that doing so, will undoubtedly void the warranty of the product, but it sure beats all those "cleaning tips" out on the net.

I hope you will excuse my poor narrative skill, and sometimes shaky camera work - it isn't easy to pull a *glued shut* piece of miniature electronics hardware apart _WITHOUT_ breaking it, *AND* film it clearly, whilst maintaining the composure to narrate it accurately and informatively. If anyone can do it better, then I shall buy you a drink; it _AIN'T_ as easy as it seems, trust me!. :D

I hope this video helps people to clean the little blighter _properly_ as it is intended to.

How to disassemble and clean your wired Apple Mighty Mouse, properly.

Or download in .MOV format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
You could just take a strip of paper and run it under the scroll ball and get the dirt out that way. I know a guy with a mighty mouse that did that and it worked like a charm.

OP
U
Reaction score
You could just take a strip of paper and run it under the scroll ball and get the dirt out that way. I know a guy with a mighty mouse that did that and it worked like a charm.

Been there, done that. Got to the end of my tether. I can tell you without any doubt, that all these little "tips and tricks" are simply stop-gaps to get you working, but nothing on earth can do the job as well as pulling the thing apart, and cleaning the rollers _thoroughly_. Having spent many years in electronic and electromechanical service and manufacturing industries, I have learnt that you have to do the job properly; a VHS cleaning cassette is no substitute for actually removing the lid of the VCR, and cleaning the head drum/tape guide/pinch roller & capstan assembley, using alcohol and chamois leather swabs.

These cleaning "tips"?. Tried em all - they all work, to a greater or lesser degree... for about 2 days!. This video was created for those of us who don't mind pulling things apart - the results are better than any "strip of paper, threaded through the gap" or "cotton bud soaked in meths, rolled about on the scroll ball, whilst holding the mouse upside down". It doesn't remove the gunk from the rollers - it simply displaces it temporarily, leading you into a false sense of the mouse regaining full functionality. When I pulled mine apart, I had cleaned it 3 days previous to making the video, and I *always* have spotless hands, when using my Apple iMac. The gunk was well encrusted around the miniature rollers - no doubt about it - the cleaning "tips" just _DON'T_ cut the mustard.

Do the job properly - after all, it's just a mouse. I hope Apple re-design the scroll mechanism properly next time, and remove ball-mouse technology from the equation; it limits the reliability, and to some, their reputation (not me, by the way). Some kind of capacitive touchpad type area, to replace the ball mech, would seem like a great idea to me - how about you guys?. Synaptics-type touchpad scroll area, which would need no cleaning, apart from a quick wipe over, once every few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
These cleaning "tips"?. Tried em all - they all work, to a greater or lesser degree... for about 2 days!

Maybe you should keep your fingers clean?

I'm been using mine since Feb 06 and cleaned it twice with a bit of wet tissue. It's then good to go for another 3 or 4 months.

I use it 8 hours a day, 9-5, 5 days a week btw.

Reaction score
Anyone have the link to how to pass a piece of paper under the scroll ?

My wireless mighty mouse isn't scrolling as well as it should be.

I'm on the verge of bringing it to the apple store so they can fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.