unable to install firefox downloaded today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
just got my new macbook and tried to install firefox. it downloaded firefox 2.0.0.2.dmg but when i double click on that file on the dekstop, it says not recognised. please help. Also how do i find out the speed of my wireless connection. I can see I am connected but cannot find the speed. Thanks very much.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the .dmg file is not recognized, it is probably a bad download. Delete it and try downloading again.
edit: follow bendan's links

For internet connection speed, try speedtest.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
did you download it from a google search or just firefox.com?

firefox.com automatically knows that you are accessing it from a mac and gives you the proper download

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
It was a bad download..For somereason my download completed but with only 1.5 meg instead of the 17.2 meg..I did it again this morning and it worked. For some reason some of the websites were taking to long to open as well last night.. Looks like my netgear 11g router was having a slow connection that worked after my nightly reset.

THanks for your responses. Going to install open office tonight. Brilliant kit by the way. My first mac (2Ghz 2GB macbook in white). At work now but can't wait to get back and play some more..

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
also, have you tried Safari? You may like it.

welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: MacBook Intel CD 2GHz, 2G, 120G (White)
like a fool i deleted Safari when i started using my mac and installed firefox.. now im feeling a little more comfy with my mac i wanna give it another go.. thing is the link on the apple site doesnt seem to work with OSX 10.4.8
anyone have a link where i can get a working verson?
Ps sry to hijack the thread.. ;)

Reaction score
like a fool i deleted Safari when i started using my mac and installed firefox.. now im feeling a little more comfy with my mac i wanna give it another go.. thing is the link on the apple site doesnt seem to work with OSX 10.4.8
anyone have a link where i can get a working verson?
Ps sry to hijack the thread.. ;)

did you actually delete it or did you just move it off the dock? Most likely you just removed it from the dock and its still on your system. You can find it in /Applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you actually delete it or did you just move it off the dock? Most likely you just removed it from the dock and its still on your system. You can find it in /Applications

nope i wish that was the case.. deleted it thinking i'll never use it again.
seems its not as easy as just downloading it again!

Reaction score
Get your Mac OS X install disk and the pacifist software MacHeadCase mentioned. That way you can open the pkg files on the CD and look for Safari in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried this today and opened up but couldnt see safari in there.. just all the other apps like idvd, photobooth etc. anyone know where abouts the file is?

Reaction score
Click on Pacifist's Open Apple Install Packages bar, then OK on the window that says "Please choose the Apple install package to open:" Only one is listed in the window from my Tiger DVD.

After you've grown old waiting for all the packages to open, and if the triangle at the top next to "Contents of OSInstall.mpkg" isn't pointing down with more files showing, click on it.

Then click on the triangle next to "Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware." On my DVD, "Contents of Safari.pkg" is near the bottom. You can right-click on that to install everything to the default location. Overwriting any Safari files remaining on your machine is OK.

Apple's software updates have put Safari at 2.0.4, but the one on my DVD is only at 2.0. But that's better than the 1.2 or whatever it is on Apple's download site.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also how do i find out the speed of my wireless connection. I can see I am connected but cannot find the speed. Thanks very much.

Go to Applications and the Utilities folder and click on Network Utility. The very first Tab is Info. Be sure you have the right Network Interface selected and it will tell you your connect (link) speed.

Below is a Pic for an example. I am connected at 54Mb.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on Pacifist's Open Apple Install Packages bar, then OK on the window that says "Please choose the Apple install package to open:" Only one is listed in the window from my Tiger DVD.

After you've grown old waiting for all the packages to open, and if the triangle at the top next to "Contents of OSInstall.mpkg" isn't pointing down with more files showing, click on it.

Then click on the triangle next to "Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware." On my DVD, "Contents of Safari.pkg" is near the bottom. You can right-click on that to install everything to the default location. Overwriting any Safari files remaining on your machine is OK.

Apple's software updates have put Safari at 2.0.4, but the one on my DVD is only at 2.0. But that's better than the 1.2 or whatever it is on Apple's download site.

thanks bro worked a treat. :spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.