back-up software

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good back-up program for my Mac. I'm currently using the free version of super duper, and wouldn't mind paying for the full version. Is there any other ones you guys recommend? My plan is to do the first back up hooked up to the computer with a USB, and then use it with a airport extreme wireless to do the daily updates to the back-up.

M

MacHeadCase

Well if you find SuperDuper! does the job, go for it. I use SuperDuper! and love it.

I saw maybe 6 months or so ago, a head-on review/comparison with CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper!, Apple's Backup: SuperDuper! came out on top with the least dropped files in the backup and the most reliable cloned hard drive.

Now I can't find the dang link! I shoulda bookmarked it... :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
SuperDuper for sure.

I've tried other backup solutions too, and SuperDuper is exactly the thing for me.

There are reviews on this page. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Well if you find SuperDuper! does the job, go for it. I use SuperDuper! and love it.

I saw maybe 6 months or so ago, a head-on review/comparison with CarbonCopyCloner, SuperDuper!, Apple's Backup: SuperDuper! came out on top with the least dropped files in the backup and the most reliable cloned hard drive.

Now I can't find the dang link! I shoulda bookmarked it... :blind:

Just found it! Yessssss!

Mac Backup Software Harmful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I could have sworn I just posted this, but here goes again...

Do you really need any special purpose backup software? I have always done backups the "cheap and cheerful" way. It is even easier with Macs than it was on my PC.

I get an external hard drive. To back up, I plug it in, turn it on and then create a new folder in its root called todays_date_backup. Then I simply use Finder (or PathFinder in my case) to drag my home folder into my newly created backup folder. This copies ALL of my personal data. It does not create a full blown image of my current disk, but I tend to view the system setup as transient. It is my personal stuff (music, photos, files, etc.) that I want to keep.

To make this really useful, I use a system of two hard drives, which I rotate between work and home. Each time I do a backup, I take the hard drive with the fresh backup to work and exchange it with the one there. That way, I always have two full backups at two different locations. Hence, even if some terrible disaster should befall my house (tornado, flood, fire, whatever), I still have a full backup "off site".

Note that no incremental backup software is involved or needed. Hard drives are so big and so fast these days that this works great and it is so simple. It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy. Apple clearly agrees with me - I think that this is the whole premise behind Time Machine (... a FAR more elegant solution than what I do of course!).

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah the backup software question comes up fairly often...
icon12.gif

But I was looking for my post where I had talked about an exhaustive comparison test between various backup apps and I finally found the website again today. Thought I might as well post the link for anyone interested about the article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.