watching tv on a mac

C

chris041067

yeah so my tv broke..and i started to think..hey, i wonder if i can use my mac for a tv?
so my question is...is there any way to hook up my powerbook and use it for a TV? it would be connected to my reciever so no need for a tv tuner or anything...just a way for the video input..
any ideas?

i would actually like to get a nice studio or cinema display instead of another tv so i can use it for both things...or maybe even a projector
what are your thoughts?

OP
W

WilliS

just do a search for input devices...

if you find something thats really nice, post it...i wanna watch tv on my g5 tooo :)

OP
S

sanqi

Will Apple ever make anything like Formac or Elgato's EyeTV? Cause both of those alternatives suck...

OP
N

Nightblade

Obviously, when you mean TV, you mean live television, right? Well, the only way I know how to do that on your computer is with the operating system Windows XP: Media Center. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/ Of course, that requires a PC, which defeats the whole purpose of watching it on a Mac. So to answer your question, I really don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Nightblade said:
Obviously, when you mean TV, you mean live television, right? Well, the only way I know how to do that on your computer is with the operating system Windows XP: Media Center. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/ Of course, that requires a PC, which defeats the whole purpose of watching it on a Mac. So to answer your question, I really don't know.
Well I guess then this looks like something that would run through VPC on Mac maybe? :cool:

OP
P

pcjabber

witeshark said:
Well I guess then this looks like something that would run through VPC on Mac maybe? :cool:
No. MCE only runs on certain PC hardware combos. And MS doesn't make it separately.... Linux-based ones work (see MythTV.org -- I am working on porting it to PPC, as I am a developer with them...) :)

--PCjabber

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, there's gotta be a way to watch tv on a mac...I know there is...it's just...I don't plan on watching tv on a 12" screen..especially when there are two tv's downstairs (27" & 19"....mine and my roommates)...and I don't have cable anyways.

OP
N

natey

You can watch TV on any computer, but what you need is a TV tuner. You can either do it via hardware (get a video card that has a TV tuner built inside of it) or you can get a product that looks like a little box. You plug your cable into it, and on the other end there's a USB connector. Wala! You've got TV.

That goes for any system. You need a TV tuner (TV capture card, or what ever). I'm sure that if you look around you can find such a device. I've seen then before. there's no way (or software) around it, recieving TV needs some kind of TV tuning device -- hardware style.

A good TV capture card from ATI will cost you a few hundred -- and it might work with a mac. It should. I've heard that you can use different video cards in a mac box. But I don't know much about setting it up...Plug and play may work and you may need a driver from ATI.

Check it out. Go to ATI's web site and see what they say about their TV cards, and then do a search on the net for TV to computer tuners. The stand-alone tuner boxes might be more costly, however.

--nate :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.