MacBook vs. MacBook Pro - pros & cons?

Reaction score
For those of you that have used both the Macbook and the Macbook Pro:

I can see the obvious differences between the two machines based on the specs... but can you help point out the Pros and Cons of each model that might not be so obvious?

Anything that might help someone decide between these two laptops would be helpful.

Thanks.

Oh, if it helps, the most intensive thing I do is photo editing using Photoshop. Other than that it's just basic plain vanilla computing... and I do not play any games.

EDIT: oops, I forgot to mention two things:
(1) I will also have to run Parallels and Windows XP
(2) this will be my main computer. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Unless a larger screen is more important to you than portability then the Macbook will be fine. It can definitely handle photoshop (Will have to wait for CS3 ideally though...). If that is the most intensive thing you do then you simply do not need a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Yeah, the only reason you should go for the MacBook Pro is if you NEED the better graphics card (For gaming or 3d rendering), dual link DVI (for large hd displays, like the 30" cinema display), or firewire 800 (if you have peripherals that use this port). As for anything else, the MacBook is just fine, especially because you can upgrade it to be almost like the MacBook pro, minus the features I mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A MacBook is my main machine-- I use it for everything from the most mundane tasks on up.

The most intense things I do on my MB are editing with Photoshop and running Adobe Audition under Parallels/XP to edit our podcast. These two tasks are process hogs and really put the MacBook through its paces-- and I'm pleased to say the MacBook handles them quickly and beautifully.

I see no need to spend the extra money on a MacBookPro.

The aesthetic thing for me involves the aluminum case of the MBP: I've known several people who have PowerBooks with dinged up cases. I carry my MacBook (and previously, 12" iBook) with me everywhere, and the plastic cases on those are spotless.

Hope this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
A MacBook is my main machine-- I use it for everything from the most mundane tasks on up.

The most intense things I do on my MB are editing with Photoshop...
Perfect. Caribiner, do you find the size of the screen to be okay for Photoshop? (ever think it's too small??) And how much RAM is needed to run Photoshop comfortably?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Like I said, you're best waiting for CS3 as CS2 is running through Rosetta emulation on the Intel Macs, which slows things down a bit. I use Gimp (Image editor) at the minute but I'm not a heavy PS user... sure there's some guys here who could tell you how good or bad it is running - And a search would definitely dig something up.

Oh yeah, I personally have no issues with the Macbook screen size while editing in Gimp.

Reaction score
Whether or not it's worth the expense to you or not is a personal choice, but some "intangibles" in favor of the MBP are:

* lighted keyboard
* aluminum (vice plastic) construction
* different keyboard ... some people prefer MB's keyboard, others the MBP's

The MB is lighter and has longer battery life at the expense of no discrete video card and a smaller screen.

They're both Macs. That's the important thing. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
* different keyboard ... some people prefer MB's keyboard, others the MBP's
I did notice that the MBP had a more traditional looking keyboard, and the MB had a sort of "raised keys" keyboard. But I have no idea which would be better/easier to type on. Anyone do any comparisons in this regard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I plan on picking up the MacBook with the next revision. While the MB PRO is Sweeeet, it is also overkill for the things I do. The MacBook fits the bill for me perfectly!

Soundsgood,
WOW! You are moving right along... first debating the Mac Mini, then deciding on it, now pondering the macbook, to MacBook Pro.... next up.. Mac Pro.

I know the feeling though. It's hard to resist the temptation to get the next class up.
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
heres a fairly obvious one but no one has come out and said it.... the price.

for what a MBP cost, i purchased a macbook and a shinny new intel 17 inch imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
just my opinion, untill they make a 15" MB I would go with a MBP... 13" screen is way to small for me. I have also used a MB and MPB and I dislike the raised keys on the MB..

OP
S
Reaction score
I plan on picking up the MacBook with the next revision.
What next revision? Do we know yet what the next revision will have, and/or when it will be released?

WOW! You are moving right along... first debating the Mac Mini, then deciding on it, now pondering the macbook, to MacBook Pro.... next up.. Mac Pro.
The Mini would be for my wife and son. But if I try a Mac it will have to be a laptop.

And for the record, I never debated. I was, however, spit on, kicked in the ribs, and made to feel unwelcome in a Forum for the first time ever... but I never debated. Not intentionally, anyway. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
And for the record, I never debated. I was, however, spit on, kicked in the ribs, and made to feel unwelcome in a Forum for the first time ever... but I never debated. Not intentionally, anyway. ;-)

WOW! You really take things personally... Spat on??? Kicked in the ribs??? When I said "debate" I was referring to you debating on whether or not to get a Mac....

The post I made above was friendly, was it not? Did you FAIL to see that I said "I know the feeling" (you conveniently left that OUT of your quote)... and gave a little info about the fact that I will be getting a MacBook instead of a MBP, because (for me) the MBP is overkill.

We disagreed on whether a 4 year old (a 4 year old!!!!) would be disadvantaged if he were allowed to use a Mac... that's all...

Time to move on... and get over it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Anyone know what the next Macbook revision will have, and/or when it will be released? Or is that kind of info kept under wraps by Apple?

OP
S
Reaction score
Spat on??? Kicked in the ribs???
Figure of speech. That's pretty much how I felt. Just being honest.

When I said "debate" I was referring to you debating on whether or not to get a Mac....
I know what you meant.

Did you FAIL to see that I said "I know the feeling" (you conveniently left that OUT of your quote)...
Nope, I saw it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great! Good luck on your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Anyone know what the next Macbook revision will have, and/or when it will be released? Or is that kind of info kept under wraps by Apple?

no one knows.. and if they claim they do they are full of it.. apple tells no one of when and where when it comes to new product info.. not even apple store employees know.

OP
S
Reaction score
no one knows.. and if they claim they do they are full of it.. apple tells no one of when and where when it comes to new product info.. not even apple store employees know.
Gotcha. That's pretty much what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

My prediction is that they'll come out with a new model 15 days after I buy my first Mac! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.