Recommended RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
I'd like to upgrade my Macbook RAM to 2 gigs, what RAM is compatible with Macbooks, and what would you recommend? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The ram that you want is 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Crucial is recommended by many in here as a ram vendor.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does all that mean exactly? Like DDR2? I'm not too good with the technical aspect of this stuff, I just know that more RAM is good and will speed things up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its the type of ram and speed that your MacBook will require.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, good enough. So if you were to look on newegg, could you show me which one to get. I typed that info into a search, and I got a few different 2 gig sets of crucial ram with those specs.

Reaction score
More importantly, before we consider the benefits of increased RAM, we need to ascertain what type of RAM you have on your Mac so we can help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just have the stock RAM that comes with the macbook.

Reaction score
Go to the blue apple in the top left corner of your desktop, click and select 'About This Mac' ... Then in the window that appears, click on 'More Info...'

Then the System Profiler window will launch and scroll down to Memory in the left pane and click on it.

Then the panel to the right will change and display what type of RAM you have, how many slots are filled and the type and size of any installed RAM.

You need to write down the specifications you see.

My specs are:

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 1GB - DDR2 SDRAM - 667MHz.
BANK 1/DIMM1 - 1GB - DDR2 SDRAM - 667MHz.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine says:

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 256 MB - DDR2 SDRAM - 667MHz
BANK 1/DIMM1 - 256 mb - DDR2 SDRAM - 667MHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
so why is Crucial good? What makes it better than OWC memory?

Reaction score
groovetuber, you either have the MacBook Core Duo or MacBook Core 2 Duo.

Either way the RAM appears to be the same type regardless.

Here is some info regarding increasing your RAM:

Users will find the MacBook performance on all apps much snappier if they upgrade to 1GB, or even to the maximum of 2GB. The difference the extra RAM makes in the time it takes to launch and run apps is a quality of life improvement that is well worth the extra money.

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. How much memory is right for you?
Choose 512MB of memory (two 256MB modules) to support most day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, and basic iLife '06 tasks.
Select 1GB of memory (two 512MB modules) if you'll be photo editing, creating illustrations, or building complex presentations.
Upgrade to the 2GB option (two 1GB modules) if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation, and other intensive tasks.
The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM -- which is strongly recommended -- you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.

So your MacBook has this type of RAM:

667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) 200p, 1.8v SODIMM,

...and supports up to 2GB

Below are a couple of very useful links regarding your particular MacBook:

MacBook - Technical Specifications

How To Upgrade MacBook RAM Video Tutorial

...Here are 2 links to the RAM you require for the upgrade to 2Gb. The first is for the Core Duo and the second for the Core 2 Duo. Note the RAM is identical so either is fine. The vendor is Crucial.com.

Memory Upgrade for the Apple MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) Laptop/Notebook

Memory Upgrade for the Apple MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo (13-inch White) Laptop/Notebook

Please read this very carefully and realise that your RAM upgrade is your responsibility and I cannot be held responsible for any problems that arise out of your RAM upgrade. The following information only points to what is already on the internet and not my personal recommendation. You should research fully before you make any purchases or install any RAM yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
he must have a MacBook Core Duo, I think the Core 2 Dou's come with a minimum of 1gig RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Word of warning. I ordered transcend ram from 18004memory.com Excellent ram, but it took 30 days for the ram to arrive. I tried to get in touch with them shortly after my order to cancel and was told ram was already on its way. After waiting for the entire month for ram to arrive, I checked the postmark, and found that the ram was shipped AFTER I called to cancel my order. Had a buddy who ordered his ram a few days after I odered mine and it took 3 weeks to get his. When I asked for a tracking number after waiting 2 weeks, I was literally told to "be patient". I have never had a company tell me to "be patient" and not supply a tracking number, easpecially after 2 weeks of waiting. Just a little word of warning. They were the cheapest ram I had found, but they need to revamp their shipping and customer service departments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Word of warning. I ordered transcend ram from 18004memory.com Excellent ram, but it took 30 days for the ram to arrive. I tried to get in touch with them shortly after my order to cancel and was told ram was already on its way. After waiting for the entire month for ram to arrive, I checked the postmark, and found that the ram was shipped AFTER I called to cancel my order. Had a buddy who ordered his ram a few days after I odered mine and it took 3 weeks to get his. When I asked for a tracking number after waiting 2 weeks, I was literally told to "be patient". I have never had a company tell me to "be patient" and not supply a tracking number, easpecially after 2 weeks of waiting. Just a little word of warning. They were the cheapest ram I had found, but they need to revamp their shipping and customer service departments.

money > return customers

thanks for the warning though. I dont know about the original poster, but I plan to either get my RAM from Other World Computing (recommended by a mac buddy) or tiger direct

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the info guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I purchased a gps from tiger. They are a pretty good company. Other world has a decent rep as well, although no personal knowledge of them.

Reaction score
does manufacturer of ram make a difference?.. dont know if it makes a difference but i'm guessing now that macbooks use intel chips (i have the black 2.0ghz macbook) i can upgrade my laptop to 3gb by using any brand i like?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.