Paypal payment at website to download content...

Reaction score
Hi! I am about done with my website, which as of now I intend to upload to Dreamhost for hosting. I like the support they've given me so far, they've been great about answering my questions.

I want to set up my website, though, so that users can download music, video and possibly a pdf document via a PayPal payment. They would make a payment, then download the file.

Dreamhost has a script called FilesForever, but the way that works is that users make a credit card payment, then can download the file as many times as they want forever. I don't really understand this.

Anyway, I am thinking more of an iTunes kind of setup, where you make a PayPal payment and then download the tune.

Dreamhost sets it up so that they take .50 cents, plus 5 percent of the total for each transaction. Also, they do not have an option for PayPal. I don't think people will want to send their credit card information over the internet just to download a 99. cent song, or 2 dollar video, do you? I think they would be more comfortable using Paypal.

Is there a way I can achieve this through Dreamhost? With another, third party piece of software for example?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Reaction score
You could skip the Dreamhost payment thing and just create a business paypal account and set up a buy now option and put it on your site. Then once you receive payment you could email them a link that is only available for 30 days or so. You would have to insert the paypal HTML code for each item you are wanting to sell.

Check here for an example of the paypal shopping cart: http://www.leighfloral.com/almondcream.html

Here is a more expensive payment getaway option: https://www.securepaynet.net/gdshop/ecommerce/landing.asp?prog_id=2stickshosting&ci=1804&se=+

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Thanks Eric, that's really helpful. I'm not that concerned that they can download the song once or forever, but more concerned that they get access to the song right away.

If I am away from my computer, with this model I think they would have to wait for me to email something to them, right? I don't know how well that would work.

Is there something I could set up where they would get access right away?

Thanks again!

P.S. and Eric, you are talking about emailing them a link. That link would be the link to the downloadable material, which wouldn't be available to people just normally browsing the site? Is that what you have in mind. That could work.

So, it would be like when I download a quicktime file from a website of a demo or something: click on a link, and a window comes up with quicktime icon and the song loads or downloads.

Can i set up pages like this in iWeb? I think i can. Thank you again!

Reaction score
With PayPal, you should be able to set up a payment thank you page, where you could put the link to download it. I have not really messed with that so I am not 100% sure.

Yes, I meant emailing them the link once you received a email from paypal saying they have paid.

I am not sure about the iWeb thing, since I am not a Mac user yet but I will be soon.

Reaction score
I want to set up my website, though, so that users can download music, video and possibly a pdf document via a PayPal payment. They would make a payment, then download the file.
All of my collegues and I use E-Junkie (http://www.e-junkie.com/). Very cheap and very easy to use and they host all you media for you so you don't use up all your own bandwidth on downloads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.