printing between mac and windows

F

futerfas

just got a new G5. I have a printer hooked up via USB to my mac. I also have a windows XP machine connected via a home network. I'm trying to get my windows machine to send stuff over the network and print on my mac. In windows, i can navigate to the printer on the mac, but when i open it, it says access is denied, failed to connect. I do have printer sharing turned on on my mac, any ideas?

OP
S

Seeker

similar difficulties as well

Hi,

Yeah i'm facing similar difficulties as well, except mine is printing from an Ibook to a printer through a win box connected on a wireless LAN.

Checked 'Windows Printing' and clicked on the right workgroup, yet somehow when I am prompted for a user name and password to log in to the win box, I cannot seem to connect. (dont rememeber putting a user name and password on that win box in the first place)

odd thing is that if I've been logging on to the wireless LAN and internet all this while so why is it that this time around I cannot log in to detect and share a printer?

At my wits end...

Sigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Seeker, mine does the same thing....just leave the name & password fields blank and hit enter (return). Mine connects and I can print just fine.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
GLJones said:
Seeker, mine does the same thing....just leave the name & password fields blank and hit enter (return). Mine connects and I can print just fine.

Jerry

What kind of printer are you using? I want to be able to print from my iBook over my wireless LAN to my XP box but it wont do it. I have an HP all in one.

OP
S

Seeker

still clueless...

"Seeker, mine does the same thing....just leave the name & password fields blank and hit enter (return). Mine connects and I can print just fine.

Jerry"

Hey Jerry, I tried that but it says Error 256 Can't connect to server with user name and password...

"What kind of printer are you using? I want to be able to print from my iBook over my wireless LAN to my XP box but it wont do it. I have an HP all in one

Dmachine"

Dmachine I have a HP Deskjer 948c

Wonder if the problem is on my win box side, an incompatible 3rd party printer, or settings on my Ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I have an Epson 820 Photo.

I believe mine gives an error too but still works when I send a job to it.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
In your System Preferences, under Internet & Networking.

Click on the Sharing Icon. Be sure you have the Printer Sharing enabled/checked. And you may need to check Windows Sharing Now you should be able to print, and also do cross platform file sharing.

I think that should do it.

OP
S

Seeker

Hey pple,

I just called up Apple Tech Support, they told me that wireless printing thru shared network resources is currently still not available on panther (except if you're using the Airport Extreme Base Station).

Apparently if you plug your ethernet cable from your Ibook thru your router, then printing thru the network shared resource printer won't be a problem.

Hope this helps other clueless pple. =p

OP
K

kinka

Windows Network Printing - PLEASE HELP

I've done what you say, leaving both fields blank, yet the same error message appears. I have both windows sharing and printer sharing boxes checked on system preferences.

Any other suggestions??? Please Help.

kinka

GLJones said:

Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.