Fans Running all the time now

Reaction score
I just opened my macbook, and now, the fans won't stop running. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I just installed new ram? Also, I took my macbook off the charger about 3 hours ago, closed it, and it was on sleep mode, however, right now I am down to 40 min left of battery power, even though I haven't used it in the past 2.5 hours. Is there something wrong with my battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It won't be anything to do with the battery. If the fans are running fast (they run all the time in macbooks anyway, at a low speed) then it may be a program causing the CPU usage to be high. Open Activity Monitor and see if there's anything obvious in there.

If you reboot does it stop? How about if you take out the new RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

Ben

Reaction score
No they don't.

As stated, the fan on these MacBooks are always running regardless of the CPU activity.

As for the main question, I personally use a program called smcFanControl which tells me my CPU temperature and the speed the fan is running at. It also allows me to set the speed from 1800 - 6200 rpms. It's quite useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The MacBook is very quiet. Or at least mine is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
its generally quiet...sometimes when the CPU load is too much and it starts to get hot, the fans will go beyong 3000 rpm and its pretty loud...it doesnt have that annoying "hard drve clicky" sound that my old HP had...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.