• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Was wondering why Apple hasn't developed....

Reaction score
a complete office suite? Especially something that would be compatable with Microsoft Office. Also, did Microsoft and Apple stop collaborating together (IE and Office)??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a bit of conjecture, but I would say - why would they? Microsoft Office, the de facto standard in the industry runs on Macs - and even if you didn't want to run Microsoft, you could always use Open Office. Why waste resources on doing something that's already been done several times over.

This is probably the same reasoning for dropping development of AppleWorks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Apple and Microsoft have never actually collaborated together on there software. Microsoft has as Mac division that stopped development on IE a few years ago. There primary focus is on Office now

Reaction score
OTOH, iWork07 is reported to have a spreadsheet program. That would give iWork (plus the mail, address book, and calendar features built into OS X) all of the functionality from Office ... or at least, the version of Office that most people use.

The lack of seamless Office file format compatibility is what really keeps the Apple suite from going anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
AppleWorks is a complete office suite. Admittedly they didn't develop it as such (it used to be ClarisWorks until Apple bought it) but there was a complete Apple office suite available.

I think the reasons for cutting back are purely commercial. If a 'real' version of MS Office (the PC de-facto standard) works on Macs, all the more chance of getting switchers. Why push MS out of the market by providing an apple only alternative when the existence of MS Office for macs make switching much less painful for those dependent on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would have to agree with all the responses thus far. I would also add that I think Apple has a little more sense in the matter. MS Office is the industry leader in its field. MS Office is compatible and has versions that will work with both Mac and Windows systems respectively. There is little to no need for anyone to create something to compete with or be compatible with it. Why try to put something out there that will only serve to confuse some people, offer a choice that isn't likely to get many sales in comparison, and end up potentially costing more to develop than a company would likely receive in profit from sales?

Sure they have iWork, but that is not a "full fledged" alternative. It can do some basic word processing and let you make a slideshow presentation. I am sure they will update it, and add a few more features here and there, but I doubt that they will ever intend iWork to become an actual competitor or alternative for MS Office.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Wow - a lot of things to think about - thanks to all for the great info. Appreciate you all!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what i see of apple software in my short experience is that they tend to try to integrate apps together and into the OS.

why wouldn't they at least make a light word and spreadsheet program that comes with ilife that works like itunes, iphoto, etc. one that not so much competes with ms office, but uses the same standard document types and puts an apple twist on it.

integrate a diary and/or blog feature into the 'word' program. integrate the spreadsheet program into other apps so you can easily port raw data (system resources, itunes play counts, etc) into easy to read spreadsheets or graphs - sort of how sharepoint does, if you're at all familiar with that.

of course the layout and tools would have to be uniquely mac, but keep formatting completelyin tune with office.

why not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.