Sleeping OK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
ive got a couple questions about my mbp when in sleep mode.

1. is it ok for me to have my mbp sleep for long periods of time? because when im at home i prefer my desktop to my laptop because of the size of my monitor and all my media files are on there. and i just keep the mbp in sleep mode (top closed)

2. is it ok to transport my mbp when its sleeping? in the morning when i pack up for school, the mbp is sleeping and i just unplug the AC power and pack the mbp in its bag and take it to school then take it out when needed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ive got a couple questions about my mbp when in sleep mode.

1. is it ok for me to have my mbp sleep for long periods of time? because when im at home i prefer my desktop to my laptop because of the size of my monitor and all my media files are on there. and i just keep the mbp in sleep mode (top closed)

2. is it ok to transport my mbp when its sleeping? in the morning when i pack up for school, the mbp is sleeping and i just unplug the AC power and pack the mbp in its bag and take it to school then take it out when needed.

1. Sure, as long as you're feeding power to it if it's more than a few hours. You don't want to constantly drain the battery down to nothing as that will eventually degrade its capacity.

2. Yes. When in sleep, your hard disk is parked and it is basically only getting enough power to keep the contents of memory active. Otherwise, all of the computer's moving parts are in the upright and locked position, safe to travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My wife's Macbook slept for about four days (she's in the hospital) before waking it, and the battery was at 79%.

I transport my Macbook sleeping all the time. Though I have found that occasional shutdown/reboot is a good thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.