Question about Apple Works from a soon to be switcher

Reaction score
Hi,

I will buy an iMAC soon and am finalizing how I will convert my workflow from Windows. I am trying to decide what apps I need to buy.

I am trying to find out details about Appleworks. I am fairly certain that it will do what I need and I like the fact that it's an integrated environment. But it's not easy to find out specific feature details.

I need to do the following. Currently, on Windows, I import a graphic file (TIF or JPEG) into a drawing package (Micrografx Draw, similar in functionality to Corel Draw). I then need to add vector graphics over top of the image, which I need to be able to change frequently. These additions can be lines, circles, and text or even other tifs/jpgs.

Finally, I want to write out a "flattened" graphic file (in whatever format is convenient, tif, jpg, pdf) of the final graphic.

I have a feeling that the drawing package will allow this but it's difficult to find a feature-by-feature description that definitely says so.

I get the impression from some threads that Apple Works is not the way of the future but there does not seem to be a similarly integrated other option at the moment. Is this true or did I miss something?

I would like to read about the detailed features of the Paint section of Appleworks as well. I currently use Micrografx Picture Publisher, a poor man's bitmap graphics editor, Photoshop-lite. If Paint is as good as that, that's all I need.

Thanks.
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Apple hasn't updated AppleWorks in years (the last update was in 2003). Here is a link to the AppleWorks page at Apple.

I don't think of Paint as a "Photoshop Lite" equivalent. For my graphics purposes, I use Photoshop Elements, but that may be lacking in features you need.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't realize that about Appleworks. But iWork doesn't really provide an alternative yet, it seems to me. I want a spreadsheet, vector drawing and bitmap painter. Database is handy too.

I was careless when I wrote that about being Photoshop-lite. I wasn't referring to photo-editing features. I use something else for that. I meant graphics editing (like modifying scanned topo maps), creating and modifying bitmap graphics that are not photos. I don't need the complexity of Photoshop's graphics editing features so was wondering what Appleworks Paint's feature-set was like.

I think I'll just go to the local Apple store and hope they have it installed on a demo machine so I take a quick look at it.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Hi,

I will buy an iMAC soon and am finalizing how I will convert my workflow from Windows. I am trying to decide what apps I need to buy.

I am trying to find out details about Appleworks. I am fairly certain that it will do what I need and I like the fact that it's an integrated environment. But it's not easy to find out specific feature details.

I need to do the following. Currently, on Windows, I import a graphic file (TIF or JPEG) into a drawing package (Micrografx Draw, similar in functionality to Corel Draw). I then need to add vector graphics over top of the image, which I need to be able to change frequently. These additions can be lines, circles, and text or even other tifs/jpgs.

Finally, I want to write out a "flattened" graphic file (in whatever format is convenient, tif, jpg, pdf) of the final graphic.

I have a feeling that the drawing package will allow this but it's difficult to find a feature-by-feature description that definitely says so.

I get the impression from some threads that Apple Works is not the way of the future but there does not seem to be a similarly integrated other option at the moment. Is this true or did I miss something?

I would like to read about the detailed features of the Paint section of Appleworks as well. I currently use Micrografx Picture Publisher, a poor man's bitmap graphics editor, Photoshop-lite. If Paint is as good as that, that's all I need.

Thanks.
Robert

You'll find everything you need (and more!) in the Open Source arena.

Check out InkScape and Gimpshop for example.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel core duo - iBook G4
You'll find everything you need (and more!) in the Open Source arena.

Check out InkScape and Gimpshop for example.

Amen-Moses

Still in Open Source I would look also to Seashore, Gimp and OppenOffice 2.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.