Question regarding using my MacBook in another country

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Cor 2 Duo 2G Ram/ 80GB HD White with SuperDrive
I will be moving to Argentina at the end of the month. It is my understanding that my MacBook will work on the 220 circut they have over there as long as I get the proper adapter. Is this correct? I don't want to damage my new Mac.

I also know that there are surge protectors that run on 220 but have different shaped outlets so that you can just plug your current shaped plug into it. This is what I would like to do, but again I want to be sure that it will not damage my machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
I'm not sure about the power supply on the macbook, but most normal ones accept anything from 100V to 240V. The outlets will have a different shape than the US, probably. But I don't think that you'll have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, you can just use your normal power supply - they can be used around the world.

The only thing you'll need is an outlet adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Sorry for bringing this thread back up so late, but I can tell you this from living there myself...

You should buy the best battery backup UPS/filter you can find, and there used to be a place on rivadavia that sold transformers for 220 -110... so you can run your US electronics etc (except copiers... for some reason they just don't work on 50hz)

The power there is extremely "dirty" and also is 50 hz not 60 hz.
My dad had problems with his macs (Original and LC) both losing files etc (back in the 80s-90s no internet & no viruses to catch) until he finally bought a UPS... from then on no problems. It also gave him 30 minutes to finish, save and shut down if he was in the middle of something during a power outage.

May not be a problem anymore since you can pretty much run on battery power with a laptop, but remember they do tend to have rolling blackouts as a matter of routine in the summer, and you are just a few months away from that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.