Add to iphoto button in a finder slideshow, not working!!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Has anyone else had an issue with the "add to iphoto" button when they fire up a finder slideshow?
I select all my photos - control click - select slideshow - index the images - select an image - hit "add to iphoto" there is a little animated "suction thing" into the icon. I then close the slideshow - Iphoto opens automatically - and the photo is........nowhere to be seen!!!
I've tried waiting, just in case it takes a moment, and I've scoured the prefs, but nothing!
If anyone knows a way to get this button working, please let me know! It's such a cool function, & would be really useful, if it actually worked.

Cheers!

Powerbook G4 17" 1GHz

Reaction score
G'day richieboi & welcome to Mac-Forums!

This is a brilliant feature of iPhoto/Finder integration and I just checked it before I answered here.

You say .... "Control-click - select slideshow - index the images - select an image etc."

If you have the images selected and in slideshow mode and just click on the add to iPhoto icon to import the foremost image .... does the image appear in iPhoto?

Just clarifying.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Pulse-8,

No, is the short answer! Lol!
I select a photo in the index bringing it to the forefront, click the "add to iphoto button", when i close the slideshow, iphoto opens automatically, but the photo I selected in the slideshow does not appear anywhere in iphoto!
Also, I forgot to add..when i click the "add to iphoto" button, there's a small "suction" animation, and then a "tick or "check-mark" appears in the iphoto icon. I presume this is to signify the photo has been imported. But unfortunately, the photo doesn't appear in the iphoto library at all!

Very strange huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
You could try to "spotlight" the image to see where it went. Being rather new I sometimes forget to look in the libraray in iPhoto (When I'm in another album) It's as not easy as that or is it ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Kilted1

I wish it was that simple my friend!
Unfortunately the picture that is supposed to be imported into iphoto when i click the "add to iphoto" button, doesn't appear anywhere on the computer at all, except in the original location where i started the slideshow from.

Thanks for your reply though!!

Reaction score
If you drag the photos from their location to the iPhoto icon in the Dock, what happens, do they import correctly?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi again Pulse-8,

Yeah, If i drag them to the icon, iphoto fires-up and starts to import, as it should.

Reaction score
com.apple.finder.plist

Seek it out, remove it to your trash, log out - then back in (or restart).

Try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
It works as it should here . I think Pulse has the best idea. Are there any special permissions attached to the pictures ?

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've deleted the plist file, and performed a restart, I have also tried importing different file formats, and checked all the ownership & permissions of the files I'm trying to import, just to double check I have access, but still no joy!
Is it worth trying the same with 'iphoto plist file', do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe if you just moved the plist file to your desktop don't delete just to try out the theory . Have you another account you can try the same thing on ?

I assume you have done a repair and verify permissions using disk utilities ?

Reaction score
com.apple.preview.plist

Try removing that to your Trash and giving the mac a reboot.

Also, Kilted1's idea of trying another user account is a sound one.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok Guys, I've repaired the permissions of the hard disk, deleted the "Plist" file, and rebooted the computer. Lord behold.......IT WORKS!!
The only bad thing Is, i did both processes one after the other, so I'm not sure which one of you guys had the right fix?
At least I know what to do if it happens again!

Thanks very much to both of you for your help!

Take it easy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What ever it was that fixed it . I'm glad it works for you now

Reaction score
You know, sometimes I feel troubleshooting a Mac is such a standard procedure that Mac OS X should do this stuff on it's own. A OS X Troubleshooter type thing.

I tell it "iPhoto is screwing with me" and it automatically goes and repairs disk permissions, cleans caches and trashes plist files. Would help 90% of the troubled.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You know, sometimes I feel troubleshooting a Mac is such a standard procedure that Mac OS X should do this stuff on it's own. A OS X Troubleshooter type thing.

I tell it "iPhoto is screwing with me" and it automatically goes and repairs disk permissions, cleans caches and trashes plist files. Would help 90% of the troubled.
You can create a script of some sort to do that, and have it work by voice command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.