new to the world of Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Processor 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Mac-OS X
Hello everyone,
I am very new to the world of Mac and I have a few questions for you all.
1. Am I understanding this right, in order to do much of anything with Microsoft Office files I am going to have to a.buy Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac or b.buy a full version of Microsoft XP Home or Pro to use with Boot Camp? Are there any Mac programs that come standard with the Mac Pro that are as good (or better) than MS Office? If I create a resume on a standard MAC program and email it to someone, will they be able to open it on a PC?
2. Do any of you have a account with .Mac? If so is it worth it? It seems interesting to me, but I don't really want to waste a lot of money on a membership I am not going to use a month from now?
3. Last but not least. Since I started looking into getting a Mac I have read a ton about them being sooo safe. So with that being the case, do I need to be installing McAfee on my system? Is it even possible to install Mcafee on a Mac? Do I need virus protectors, firewalls, etc. or are those tings built in to the Mac OS system?
OK, you all have a good one and thanks in advance for all of your help!
-C.

Reaction score
1. OpenOffice for Mac can read and edit Microsoft Word (.doc) files, and is completely free!

2. I don't, because I don't have a Mac yet, but I find .Mac to be unneeded in most cases. You probably won't use it that much, so I don't really think it is worth it, but it's all preference.

3. No, probably not. You may want too, but it really isn't needed. You probably won't have any issues.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Processor 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Mac-OS X
Thanks for the reply!
Also, I just found the Switchers Hangout section of this forum, I think I'll go spend some time in there!
Later,
-C.

Reaction score
Thats what I am doing. If you have any more questions, ask away!

You may want to check out Switch 101 when you get your new system. I don't have a Mac yet, but I found it very useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome Callen 727! I'll try to help with some of your questions:
1. There are several word processing apps that are very good. I don't know of a standard one, you'd have to buy what fits your needs best. I personally use iwork (and love it) but if you need MS office, you'll need to buy it for Mac. And yes, you can e-mail anything that you create on your Mac to a PC.

2. When you buy a Mac it should come with a free trial. I used my trial then decided I didn't need it. If you're going to need a web page or sync your mail between computers and other things it offers then it would be worth it. For me it wasn't but everyone does different things with their computers.
3. You don't need any virus protection on your Mac but you might get some answers from others here that might recommend some free ones. Mac doesn't get viruses though so you wouldn't want to waste your $'s on buying one.
Hope this helps. Come back often and good luck with your new Mac purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You don't need any virus protection on your Mac but you might get some answers from others here that might recommend some free ones. Mac doesn't get viruses though so you wouldn't want to waste your $'s on buying one.
To clarify this a little... Macs certainly are capable of getting a virus. NO computer is immune to viruses.
Currently, there are no viruses for Mac OS X (and there hasn't been any since it was released over 6 years ago), but that doesn't mean that they can't, don't or won't ever get them.
Will you be safe without any AV protection? Yeah, you probably would be.
Just don't fall into the myth that Macs are somehow impervious to virus attacks because it simply isn't true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Reaction score
1. As long as you use a compatible formats, you can exchange files. I always use PDF when sending documents I don't need other people to edit, because PDF is bound to work on any computer. Even DOC files may not open on a PC, because Office isn't on all PC's either.

If you make a document with a certain program, your counterpart needs the same or a similar program to open it. Always check with your counterparts if your sending special kind of files.

2. There is a free trial-period for .mac on the Apple website. I tested it and found I hardly use any of the features at this point, but maybe later when I'm at college and have two Macs. Test it out.

3. No. Simply, no. Don't even go there.

Reaction score
Hello
i am a rookie here 2. I want to know that do openoffice support other languages like Chinese or Japanese? Thx.:tusks:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
To clarify this a little... Macs certainly are capable of getting a virus. NO computer is immune to viruses.
Currently, there are no viruses for Mac OS X (and there hasn't been any since it was released over 6 years ago), but that doesn't mean that they can't, don't or won't ever get them.
Will you be safe without any AV protection? Yeah, you probably would be.
Just don't fall into the myth that Macs are somehow impervious to virus attacks because it simply isn't true.

As good as impervious though! Nothing in life is certain, but no viruses during the six years is good enough for me to not even think about virus protection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.