Batch resize?

Reaction score
Is there an easy way (using iPhoto or anything else built-in to OS X) to resize a large batch of photos at once? Specifically, I need to upload about 500 8MP photos to a website but they don't need to be that high resolution. I'd like to reduce them all to 1080x720 or so.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Thanks, dude ... I'll give that a try. Mucho danke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not sure how comfortable you are in the Terminal... but I tried this a few times... with only 3 images (trying to test multiples for you) at a time... it worked great.

**This CHANGES the original** **So PLEASE back up your originals first**

In the Terminal Type (Do NOT press ENTER) (I have 400 as width, but you can use whatever width you'd like):

sips --resampleWidth 400

Now Select ALL the images you would like to change **NOT the Originals**

Drag and drop them in the Terminal... Their locations will be added behind the above command.

Now press enter in the Terminal.

The images will be changed in their location **Do NOT use the Originals**

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Oh noes! I used my originals and now they're all ruined!

j/k

Thanks again, dude-man ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Oh noes! I used my originals and now they're all ruined!

After all my disclaimers... that would have been all on YOU!.

:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm sure you are probably already taken care of... but I made up a Script/App that will resize batches if Images to 1080x###...

Drag/drop your images to the Icon and the Script/App will make them all 1080xWhatever.... it will place all the "resized" images back into the same folder you took them from and label them todd1080.<Original Name>.jpg. and leave the Originals untouched. Drag... drop... wait... Viola!

Just drag/Drop... can't beat that! Let me know what you think!

See attached.

View attachment ImageResize1080.zip

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
wow

I just got through doing this with the app you recommended but I will definitely give your script a try. Saving me the step of manually copying the pics first is huge. Thanks again, RIDE-man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
There's also ImageMagick, available through DarwinPorts. It's a Unix/Linux app with a capability to do lots of things in batch mode at the command line. (Actually it's lots of little programs that are collectively identified as the ImageMagick application.) I've only installed the port on my MacBook, but haven't done anything serious with it here. Yet.

Under Linux, I used ImageMagick to convert 540 images from png to gif, and then to create an animated gif from the individual images. The ImageMagick programs to do that were "convert" and "animate". It worked very nicely. Got lots of ooohs and aaahs at work for that one. (The original png images were generated through gnuplot, but that's another story.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Ive been searching for a script/app to batch convert files to a certain file size, for example 100kb, but havent found anything yet. Ive tryed running actions in photoshop, but the action can only use one quality setting and doesnt change to allow for different original file sizes.

Would be great to have something capable of this task, as for work I often end up with 200+ files, 500x500 at around 750kb, that need to be converted to 500x500 but be of maximum quality, but no larger than 100kb.

Doing it manually using "Save for Web" in photoshop, the quality setting can range anywhere from 80 to 100 to get the file to be as close to 100k as possible, however this is a tedious job when more than 30 images are involved. So if anyone has any ideas or knows of any app that can achieve this, please do let me know, cheers Shaun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'll try to put something together for you when I got home in front of my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I sometimes create a (very) simple automator workflow that basically involves 'get files from finder' -> 'resize images in place'. It's dead easy to put together (or even save for later if you use it often). So far it's the only time I have actually found a use for automator :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
So far it's the only time I have actually found a use for automator :)

Which is very sad, seeing how it's so powerful. Only time I've used it was to find a way to use it...never productively though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ive been searching for a script/app to batch convert files to a certain file size, for example 100kb, but havent found anything yet. Ive tryed running actions in photoshop, but the action can only use one quality setting and doesnt change to allow for different original file sizes.

Would be great to have something capable of this task, as for work I often end up with 200+ files, 500x500 at around 750kb, that need to be converted to 500x500 but be of maximum quality, but no larger than 100kb.

Doing it manually using "Save for Web" in photoshop, the quality setting can range anywhere from 80 to 100 to get the file to be as close to 100k as possible, however this is a tedious job when more than 30 images are involved. So if anyone has any ideas or knows of any app that can achieve this, please do let me know, cheers Shaun.

I haven't yet figured out how to have the script change the file quality/size.... I'll keep messing with it though...

This may be of use to you: http://www.yellowmug.com/easybatchphoto/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Thanks Ride, it would be much appreciated to come up with a solution, I searched hard about a year ago to find an app, but no joy. Have since just done it all manually which ensures your files are all as good quality as possible, but it takes up time that could easily be spent elsewhere. Sometimes I will setup a batch process in photoshop, with a quality of say 8, process 100 files, and after being processed, maybe 25-30 files will be over 100kb. Then I go back and process these 25-30 files manually, but this way you also end up with 20 odd files that are of lesser quality than they need to be.

Would be great to have an icon on the desktop I can drop a bunch of files onto, and have them all come out at very similar quality, surely I'm not dreaming here? Anyway, look forward to seeing if anyone can come up with or knows of a solution, cheers Shaun.

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Challenge for RIDE:

I have been using your excellent ImageResize1080 application quite a bit lately. There is one feature that I'd like to see, though I have absolutely no idea whether it's simple to implement.

Right now, when I drag 200 photos to the ImageResize1080 icon, it makes renamed copies in the same folder as the original. Would it be possible to put the renamed (shrunken) copies in a subfolder? It's easy enough to do manually but I figured you'd love the challenge, you see. :ninja:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.