Trouble with Disk Ultility

Reaction score
hi, recently converted from PC to mac, bought a MBP...
when i connect my external HD to the mac i only have read options on it...
so as told i went Disk Ultility to sort out the disk permissions...however it won't let me do that...any ideas?

also after playing around for i while i am no longer able to open the application 'disk utility'. I get 'An unexpected error occured (error code -600).

any advice would be trully appreciated!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
hi, recently converted from PC to mac, bought a MBP...
when i connect my external HD to the mac i only have read options on it...
so as told i went Disk Ultility to sort out the disk permissions...however it won't let me do that...any ideas?

also after playing around for i while i am no longer able to open the application 'disk utility'. I get 'An unexpected error occured (error code -600).

any advice would be trully appreciated!

Well the external HD is probably NTFS or something. Was it originally formatted by XP?

Try disconnecting the external drive, rebooting and then try running disk utility again.

If that doesn't fix things use spotlight to find com.apple.DiskUtility.plist, delete it and restart disk utility.

Oh, and if you do get it working again you will probably want to reformat the external HD to FAT32 so you can read and write to it from both Widows and OS X.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Were you trying to run a Permissions Repair?
If so, then you can't do that to your external drive. Permissions Repair will only work on a drive that has OS X installed on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.