(( wacom tablet. yes/no? ))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.33GHz 2GB
I was wondering if anyone on here owns or has used a wacom (or any other brand) tablet?
ive never used one, and have heard some mixed reviews.

is it worth it? pros/cons?

tia

zzMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM
i've been a graphic designer for over 10 years now, and 4 years ago, i switched. over the past 4 years, i've used both the wacom graphire (bargain basement version) AND the wacom intuos (higher end -- what i use currently).

that said, i can tell you these important things...

-> the learning curve from mouse to tablet and stylus is a couple weeks, TOPS. (more like a couple days, really.)
-> pulling points (such as in illustrator, or pathing in ps) is about seventeen THOUSAND times easier with a stylus and tablet.
-> higher end tablets (such as the intuos 3 and above) offer built-in macro keys, which you can use with your fingers or with the stylus, and which, when programmed with savvy, can make your life a lot easier. (consider zooming in and out on a photoshop doc by simply sliding your stylus on a small pad to the side of your main tablet area.)
-> the tablet's "work area" is automatically mapped to the aspect ratio of your screen. thus, there is no more of that "move-pickup-move-pickup" thing that you have to do with a mouse.
-> the "posture" of your hand, when using a stylus, is far more natural than with a mouse, and thus, more ergonomically correct.

i resisted the switch for about a year, and finally "gave in" only because the pain in my forearm was starting to get worse and i realized i really needed to do something. once i made the change, i found that not only did my arm not hurt anymore ... like, EVER ... but i had unwittingly stumbled across the single greatest interface peripheral ever invented.

obviously, it comes highly recommended from this kid.

hopefully, this is helpful.

blair cerny | sf.ca

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.33GHz 2GB
thank you!

that was extremely helpful! especially coming from someone that is using it as i would be.

thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM
no problem. my pleasure.

(as a final bonus, i should add that anyone sitting down to your computer has no idea how to make it work, and THAT is some funny stuff to watch.)

haha!!

blair cerny | sf.ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
well said, Blair. I agree with almost all of that. Certainly, photoshop becomes much, much easier. I'll rarely use photoshop without my tablet now.

I've found some elements of illustrator become a bit awkward though - selecting a point with a tablet can occasionally select it, and also move it a little - but practice usually bests this. Creating paths is a breeze with a tablet, and far faster than with a mouse or anything else. Even just general Finder navigation is a whole lot smoother, as I find I can move the tablet more fluidly than I ever could with a mouse, so in general, most tasks become easier.

I have a small 4x5" Graphire (or Graphire II, I can't remember which) that still serves me well today, after over 4 years of use. I've never had a single problem with it at all. Funny, I was just talking about this today with the other designer I work with. He's never used one, but maybe I could get him onto them ;)

If you are considering buying a tablet, Wacom really is the way to go. I shopped around before buying mine, and no others I came across had the sensitivity and overall quality that Wacom did. No doubt you'll be using it for a range of tasks in all kinds of apps, so it's better to go for the quality that Wacom offers. Buying a cheapo one will likely come back to bite you later.

JRV

Reaction score
I also have a Wacom Intuos. It only took a few days to get used to it. The tablet really makes it easier to do things. It also helps a lot if you get wrist pains from using the mouse. The pen puts your hand in a more natural position. I have the 6x8 Intuos and love it. I would save up and buy an Intuos model over the Graphire. I also say that the 6x8 is the perfect size. Not too small, not too big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I have a cheaper graphire that works fine. I would like a larger intuos but have never decided to actually spend the cash on one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.