MS Money........ What should I use on my Mac?

Reaction score
We have been using MS Money 2000 for 7 years now and have had minimal if no problems with it. I would like to get a new program that will do my checkbook type stuff on the mac. I have read some not so good stuff about the Quicken for Mac so much so that I am not sure I want to get it, stability and limited functionality issues. Plus the big issue is that apparently the program LOCKS after a few years and you are unable to use it. I am totally not into a program that I paid for timing out and then having to call them back to pay more money just to get it working again :radioacti

What are most of you using on your Macs to do your checkbook on that does not time out as Quicken does???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
HERE is a list of a bunch of Finance Software for OS X.

Reaction score
Someone on this forum turned me onto Checkbook (will supply link if you desire). It works fine for me but I don't know what your needs are.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have upgraded to Wife 1.5 :p ;)

Reaction score
You could also try Moneydance. I've been using it since 2005 and it works great for me. I have upgraded to each new version for free. It provides an electronic register and supports direct updating with my bank. That is all I need.

Reaction score
Moneydance is very powerful indeed. It's the only app I know that handles credit card accounts the way I expect them to work, and it's got a fairly nice interface in the latest update.

I'm waiting for Cha-Ching to develop into a good app, though. Until then, Moneydance will do, although it doesn't have much of a "Mac Feel" to it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Moneydance is very powerful indeed. It's the only app I know that handles credit card accounts the way I expect them to work, and it's got a fairly nice interface in the latest update.

Do you know if the Moneydance has a time out feature? I mean does it stop working after a few years and you are forced to buy an upgrade as you would with Quicken??

Also, What do you mean by it doesn't have a mac feel? Is that really bad or does it just have a Windows type look.....

Reaction score
Why not download Parallels and use MS Money? That's what I'm doing. I tried MoneyDance, iBank, Quicken, etc. None of them do what I need them to do. MS Money has it all. The easy interface, reports, graphs, budgets, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Quicken locks up? I've been using the program since version 2.0 for Windows (c.1992) and I've yet to run across this.

Reaction score
Do you know if the Moneydance has a time out feature? I mean does it stop working after a few years and you are forced to buy an upgrade as you would with Quicken??

Also, What do you mean by it doesn't have a mac feel? Is that really bad or does it just have a Windows type look.....

Moneydance does not have a timeout on the registered version. The trial is limited to a number of transactions but once you register it you are golden. I have updated from 2005 to 2006 and 2007 and have only paid for the original registration.

Moneydance runs on Mac, Linux and Windows so the interface is not exactly like Mac. It is more Mac/Linux than Windows though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Why not download Parallels and use MS Money? That's what I'm doing. I tried MoneyDance, iBank, Quicken, etc. None of them do what I need them to do. MS Money has it all. The easy interface, reports, graphs, budgets, etc.
We will be getting Parallels to run some kids things but I would like to get something that runs on the mac without the need for another program. Concerning Moneydance, what specific issues did you have with it? I know they have a trial version which I intend to use but I was wondering if the features you wanted are even ones we use now on MS Money.

Quicken locks up? I've been using the program since version 2.0 for Windows (c.1992) and I've yet to run across this.

They introduced this after your version. I checked this out with my IT guy and he said that INTUIT recieved major flack when they introduced this. If you go to the quicken website and type in "unlock" they tell you how to pay more to keep your program running.

Reaction score
Someone on this forum turned me onto Checkbook (will supply link if you desire). It works fine for me but I don't know what your needs are.

Ill give a 2nd nod to Checkbook. I tried several money management apps and Checkbook is the best one I tried. I hated Quicken after using MS Money. It was just so cumbersome.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nothing on Moneydance site regarding the app timing out, nor did I find anything on a quick search. But they do begin charging for the upgrades at some point. The current upgrade is free to those who purchased after Jan 1, 2004. So, that would be 3 years of ugrades free at the present time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I called Intuit today and asked about the Quicken "locking" thing.

They told me that three years after a version is released, it's typically dropped from support ("sunsetted"). At this time, Intuit "locks" the online component only and you basically have to buy a new, upgraded version if you want to continue downloading transactions from your bank.

What this means is: (a) if you don't use online transactions, you can use any version of Quicken indefinitely; and (b) if you do use online transactions, after three years you have to buy a new version of the software.

While the three-year thing may seem unreasonable to some, I have no issue with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I've used Quicken on PC for years and am using it on my mac too. It's been very stable so far but it not as easy to use.

OP
M
Reaction score
I called Intuit today and asked about the Quicken "locking" thing.
Intuit "locks" the online component only and you basically have to buy a new, upgraded version if you want to continue downloading transactions from your bank.
Well, we dont use any type of online trasaction downloads so I guess that would work for us as well. I think I will still look into the Moneydance and Checkbook programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I'm giving a thumb up to iBank.

As a solid MS Money user, this software suited my needs.

It has budget and budget monitor, which is a essential feature for me.

It's very easy to use, indeed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.