What program works with Frontpage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook - 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM
Hey guys, Im a newbie Mac'er. In fact I just bought my first Mac today. Its an IMac. I dont plan on doing much web design with it at all. But Id like the capability if I want to.

I own my own business and I am my own webmaster. But I know VERY LITTLE about webdesign. Basically I created my entire site by just coping another site and changing text/images and moving a few things around with Frontpage. I dont know coding, I only use the design portion and litterally click and drag stuff.

Here is my question. My website is for the most part done. Although I do still have a few dead links and occasionally need to update some of my products (change prices, add new items, etc). So its not something I would do daily. In fact 99% of the time I mess with it, Ill probably be using my PC (because I have a 22" monitor). But if/when Im out of town with some free time I might want to do a few things, Id like to be able to on my laptop.

So, if I save all my files (i think they are all just html and jpg) on a CD or flash drive. Can I update/change things with the Mac, save them... then do it again another day with my PC?

Also, what Mac program is easy to use for dragging/dropping for people like me with no coding expierence?

Reaction score
Nice site.

I would run away from Front Page. It's not up to standard and it puts a lot of extra junk in your HTML most of the time.

I would suggest Dreamweaver but it's not the cheapest software out there and about anyother web editing program is better than Front Page.

Reaction score
If you are in school or have a kid, or other family member in school, you can get software on the cheap at campusestore.com

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a son, but he is in 1st grade... does that count?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you are looking for an easy web design app., I would suggest you to try RapidWeaver. It is cheap and really easy to use.

You can edit *.html files in any platform. Try one of the text editors (TextMate in my favourite).

NVU is an open source(free) application like Dreamweaver with slightly less features.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I debated getting a MB or IBook, but never planned on a MBP. I got a pretty good deal on this Ibook (about $500) and it seems loaded with all the bells and whistles so I took it. Its got 1.33ghz, 1GB ram, 40gb HD, blutooth, airport, and hes including a bunch of software (Office, Dreamweaver (not sure which one), virtual pc (with windows 2000, said it runs better than XP)... and some other stuff. He is a student at Purdue and got a bunch of software for like $20 each.

Im gonna see how the Dreamweaver or iWeb works out. Maybe they will be fine for me. I might end up regretting my decision and selling this ibook and getting a MB, but I figured for now its a good starter. I really didnt want to spend an extra $500 right now....

Reaction score
virtual pc (with windows 2000, said it runs better than XP)
Hmmmmmm....

Im gonna see how the Dreamweaver or iWeb works out.
I'm not familiar with iWeb. Give it a shot. Dreamweaver's a great program, but be prepared for a much steeper learning curve (compared to FrontPage).

I really didnt want to spend an extra $500 right now....
Gotcha.

Good luck! :)

Reaction score
If you just want to change around links, text, images, etc., without getting into coding, would recommend Macromedia Contribute.

If you can use Word or FrontPage, Contribute will be easy to learn, & you can actually edit the site while it's up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.