Dead USB

Reaction score
I just acquired a G3 dual USB(800mhz) ibook in a sweet trade. I fixed the logic board issue, now the only problem I am having is with the USB. System profiler detects both USB ports but no devices ever get detected in them. I have tried USB drives, ipod, apple keyboard. I have tried resetting the system by removing the ac and battery for 30 mins. I have also installed a fresh copy of tiger. The firewire port does work. Any ideas?

OP
J
Reaction score
So I booted the Ubuntu live CD and had no USB there either so i think they may be physically dead, any ideas? I am going to open it up today and see if there is anything obvious

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
It could be a mechanical problem with the ports themselves (broken pins or "slats") or something could be fried on the logic board and it's reporting the wrong status (i.e., that it's working).

Good luck..

OP
J
Reaction score
I have thye system dissassembled now and can't see anything physically wrong...The weird thing is that both Mac OSx and Ubunbtu picked up on the fact that there were 2 ports

OP
J
Reaction score
The other Ibook issue I am having is that when plugged into the ac adapter the system is leaking electricity...by that I mean if i touch around the plastic on the back i get a mild shock...or if it is sitting on my metal desk at work the disk gives me a tingly shock.....maybe this zapped the USB...any ideas on that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.