FOR PARENTS ONLY: is a Mac *BAD* for Pre-School Kids?

Reaction score
I was going to buy a Mac Mini for my wife and son (he'll be 4 next month), so we could all test out the Mac OS. Our son is very comfortable on the PC, is great with a mouse, and loves playing games on some of the pre-school oriented websites (like DisneyChannel.com, Noggin.com, etc).

Well, it was mentioned in another thread that a Mac might NOT be the best choice for a small child, since kids in school are using PCs -- not Macs.

The more I thought about this, the more it concerned me. After all, the LAST thing I want to do is put my son at a DISadvantage because he uses a Mac instead of a PC. I'd hate for him to be lagging behind the other kids because they are used to using a PC at home.

Obviously this is a decision I need to make myself, but I'm looking for advice and opinions FROM OTHER PARENTS THAT HAVE SWITCHED. And PLEASE be honest with me... :)

P.S. -- Since I already know that DEVILBOY will tell me not to get a Mac, there's no need for him to post. ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I could just be off the mark here but what grade schools DON'T use Mac's? Last time I checked most all K-12 schools used Mac's.. Has something changed that I am not hearing about? Granted I was in HS 8 years ago..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have small kids (1 younger than yours) and they breeze through XP, OS X, and Edubuntu (linux)... It's great to see them figuring things out and learning. My opinion is why "pigeon hole" a kid with "you only need to learn Windows"... to me (just my opinion, and personal parenting technique) that's silly, and counter productive. Let them learn.

Personal note: I do NOT believe that the decision on what OS (or multiple) a child is on will have ANY bearing on what type of person said child will become.

OP
S
Reaction score
I could just be off the mark here but what grade schools DON'T use Mac's? Last time I checked most all K-12 schools used Mac's.. Has something changed that I am not hearing about? Granted I was in HS 8 years ago..
I thought the same thing... but I guess things have changed. Most (if not all) of the schools around here are using PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
My daughters (now in their teens) have grown up with PCs in the house while their school systems use Macs. We didn't become a Mac household until a couple years ago.

Were they at a disadvantage at school because they didn't have Macs at home? No. The schools did a wonderfiul job of training them on the Mac.

Were they able to use the computers at their friends' houses? Yes, both PCs and Macs.

Do I think they'd be at a disadvantage if they had a Mac and not a PC at home? Not really, because once they learned one platform they were easily trained on the other. Their teachers have all said that having a computer at home-- any computer-- is a big help in ramping up their skills.

Instructors (and kids) care more about the programs the kids are using rather than how well they can navigate the OS.

The truth is that PCs are the norm in the business world today, and once the kids are grown they'll need to be proficient in the applications that run on whatever platform is the norm is at that time. I wouldn't let the fact that Windows is the norm in 2007 drive what your 4 year old will be using in 2016.

My advice: buy what you want and get your son in front of the computer--whatever it is-- as soon as possible. The software you buy will be far more important than the operating system.

If there is an influencing factor, it would be whatever your local school district is using. But even then, kids can adapt very easily.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I thought the same thing... but I guess things have changed. Most (if not all) of the schools around here are using PCs.

Where do you live? Its not that I don't believe you but how did you get your info that your schools use pc's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Our schools used to use macs - now they use pc's. I always just assumed it was a budgetary choice - as to whether apple or hp would give them a better deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I was going to buy a Mac Mini for my wife and son (he'll be 4 next month), so we could all test out the Mac OS.

P.S. -- Since I already know that DEVILBOY will tell me not to get a Mac, there's no need for him to post. ;-)
I don't recall ever saying to not get a Mac. :black:
Yes, there have been threads where I have advised people against buying them because it wouldn't have fit their needs.

I do recall suggesting that someone take stock of what they want to do with a computer before making an expensive investment in one. If your personal needs require Windows, then a Mac isn't the right choice... simple as that.
If you simply want to get your feet wet and test the waters with a Mac (and you are willing to forget about Windows or whatever OS you are using while you are using the Mac), then I wouldn't go out and get a brand new one. Save your cash and get one that is a few models back. That way, you can still run the latest OS and it will run just fine.
You can get used to it.... or not. If you don't like it, then you didn't drop a grand or more on something that isn't going to work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I'm sure you can tell I'm not a Parent, anyways I have the nice job of showing my Little Sister the ways of the Computer World and to be honest I think the Fact I'm using a Mac, She has Windows in School has gave her the ability to realise the benefit in different Systems.

Like someone said previously avoid trying to pigeon hole your Children in the end all they will need for a few years anyway is programs where they can create custom images, documents etc and these kind of programs will work across the board.

Maybe get a Mac and Get Parallels that way he/she can have the best of all worlds. I'm actually getting my Sister a Laptop but she will still be using my Mac in the Future as she enjoys using it.

Thats my theory on it, I was disappointed that I never had access to a Mac until I was 18, I kid you not, So I wouldn't be up for suggesting the same thing for your child. Also if you can introduce them to Linux (obviously down the line) the more experience using different programs and different OS's the more the benefit.

btw All we had in Schools was PC's from Start to Finish (Windows 3.1 ftw!!)

Reaction score
You can now run Windows on a Mac, so it is a moot point. Get the better computer, i.e. Mac. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Heaven forbid to show kids a flexibility in character, different sides or ways to do things, etc. Jeez.

M

MacHeadCase

Of course it is.

You don't seem to realize a young mind can adapt much easier and faster to situations. Learning different ways to do things at a young age makes them mentally agile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Agreed MHC!

Soundsgood, you seem to be H-e-l-l bent... On not wanting a Mac... and not wanting your kids to touch "the evil mac machine"... Are you wanting members here to beg you to get one for your kids? If you can't stand the thought, then by all means get a dell (dude :D ). At this point... you REALLY seem to be TROLLING.

OP
S
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways a parent can demonstrate a flexibility in character or different sides or ways to do things, etc. Checking to make sure a child won't be at a disadvantage in school is something completely different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Believing that a child might be disadvantaged at school because he/she has a mac at home is no different that believing he/she will be disadvantaged by using a spoon and a fork at home when the school is using SPORKS!!!

dump out the spoons and forks... Get rid of the ballpoint pens (#2 pencils only)... "No blank paper for you Johnny! It's lined paper from now on"... Install the "urinals", Round-up the chain-link fence.... "Get out of the car Johnny... we're taking the bus!!!" Where is my kick-ball?!!!

I'd be REALLY careful not to consider what schools are doing to be the best way to do it... in fact I'd stay as far away from that idea as possible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say your kid plays games on Disney and other places. I would check to see what is required to play those games. SOME sites have you download an .EXE to run to play the games. If that is the case, OSX will not run a Windows Executable. Sure you can run it in Parallels.

DB is right though in the point that if your MAIN use of a computer requires Windows, why buy a Mac that costs a lot more than the typical Windows machine and run Windows on it with Bootcamp. If you just need some basic Windows for a few little things, then you can run Parallels and still be using OSX for your main work.

The only Negative I can see for your kid is the Disney Channel, ETC games. Check to see what they require to run as some I have helped people with want a program running on the PC.

Where I live in Central California some schools use Macs and others use PC's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.