How to upgrade to the latest OS?...

R

ruralguy

Finally have dollars put aside for memory and OS upgrade (one of the reasons being so I can get iPhoto). Am upgrading to 512 Ram. My question has to do with OSs and upgrades.

With MS, it was simple, Win95 to Win98, updates were available via downloads. My Compac crashed every so often, but with Norton and updates, and "fixit" books, I kept it running. I stayed with Win98 until I bought this G3 iMac 333MHz.

I am starting with Mac OS 8.6. Once maximum memory is working, what is the sequence I MUST go through to get my OS up to 10.2.4, in the least expensive way? I do want OS CDs in case I need to put the OSs on a new HD (which I want to do).

A "full install" means what? Before I start upgrading, do I need to get a utility program to do some things? Which one?

What must I buy and what is free via downloads, to get me updated to March of 2004? A simplified "TO DO" list for me to follow, if possible.

The closest Apple repair is 2-1/2 hours away by car, so I am really happy for these forums. Have been reading and learning, but some of the basics are still escaping me. Thanks, all.

Hank

OP
C

Chamorro

ruralguy said:
I am starting with Mac OS 8.6. Once maximum memory is working, what is the sequence I MUST go through to get my OS up to 10.2.4, in the least expensive way? I do want OS CDs in case I need to put the OSs on a new HD (which I want to do).

A "full install" means what? Before I start upgrading, do I need to get a utility program to do some things? Which one?

What must I buy and what is free via downloads, to get me updated to March of 2004? A simplified "TO DO" list for me to follow, if possible.

You can go straight to 10.2 (Jaguar) or 10.3 (Panther). Just try to find "full install" discs; these are the ones that you see boxed up by themselves in software stores. The Software Update app will take you up to the latest version of the OS (10.2.8 or 10.3.3) for free.

You don't really need a separate utility app, the OS X discs will have Disk Utility - you can use this to erase/partition/do some repairs if necessary.

If you want to keep using your "old" OS you'll need to upgrade 8.6 to OS 9.2.2. You can do this with "upgrade" discs or with "full install discs".

Post again if you need more info.

OP
R

ruralguy

Thanks CHAMORRO....

Your answer cut through all my cognitive dissonance and right to the chase. I really appreciate that. I thought I had to take the long, long, long way home!

Now will research which should work best on my 333MHZ, Jaguar or Panther, and then look for the best price....

Am glad that OSX has a utility program. No need I can see (granted, my insight is running on limited) to keep 8.6, so will head straight for the X. Other than Appleworks 5.03, and IE and OE 5.00, my apps. are not really used, and all are old. I am anxious to start learning an up-to-date OS.

Again, thank you.

Henry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
email me

Shoot me an email on getting panther. I may have some ideas on getting you the software you need.
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Texasmeat, you were just a little too close to the edge there :)

ruralguy, don't expect to run OSX blazingly fast on a 333MHz iMac - people have done it but it's just not going to be snappy. Panther does have a slight speed advantage over Jaguar so I'd recommend you go with that.

OP
R

ruralguy

Thank you.

Thanks "Texasmeat," e-mail sent; Thanks "Muso." Will go for Panther. Hopefully, I will not always have an older Mac. I appreciate the help.
Hank

OP
T

thewanderer

Warning

Be very careful before you update that iMac to OSX, I think its with Jaguar and Panther. Make sure you update the firmwear to the newest one. Without doing this you could blow your video card when trying to install OSX. And then the iMac is pretty much gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.