Make XP look like OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Hello All.

I am thinking about swtiching to Mac. But before i do, i want to get the overall feel of it. Is there any app (free) that can make XP look like OS X (bar on top, etc.) as i do want to get the feel of it before i take the dive and get one.

The only macs ive pretty much ever seen are the ones they had at school (the ones that came in all different colors like red, blue orange, i think they wree called iMacs, not too sure though)....but i never used them, i was always under the impression that Macs suck and PCs dominate the world so they are deff. better. After a lil research i guess world domination isnt everything :p

So yeah, any help is definintly appreciated!

Btw, the Emos here are pretty weird, i couldnt find a smiling emo, or a sticking tongue out emo :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can definitely skin your Windows PC to make it look like a Mac, but in many ways, it won't be the full Mac experience as you will still have to deal with many aspects of Windows. To really get a feel for a Mac, you're best off going to either the Apple store or an authorized retailer and try out a Mac.

Anyway, if you're still intent on getting that Mac feeling on your PC, take a look at FlyakiteOSX. This will skin Windows to look like Mac OS X. However, you'll still need to tweak it to get it to look exactly like Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Skinning the Win XP OS will NOT give you anything close to what the "Mac OS Xperience" would be like. That is nothing more than eye candy and won't really do much for you at all.

Simply moving your Windows taskbar to the top of your screen and reversing your window buttons can be done without the need for a skining program.
That is a start, I suppose, but you won't really begin to understand and feel out the Mac OS until you actually use it.

I would recommend looking for an older model Mac on an auction site and trying that out. You can find an older Mac for under $100 that will run the latest version of OS X. It won't be the fastest gun in the West, but it will give you a far better feel for Macs since you would actually be using one.

You must also ask yourself, "why ?". Why is it that you need or want a Mac? What would you plan on doing with a computer?

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can definitely skin your Windows PC to make it look like a Mac, but in many ways, it won't be the full Mac experience as you will still have to deal with many aspects of Windows. To really get a feel for a Mac, you're best off going to either the Apple store or an authorized retailer and try out a Mac.

Anyway, if you're still intent on getting that Mac feeling on your PC, take a look at FlyakiteOSX. This will skin Windows to look like Mac OS X. However, you'll still need to tweak it to get it to look exactly like Mac OS X.

Wow, that looks great! I will definintly try that out tomarrow, as its getting late now. Thanx alot!

EDIT:
So i Downloaded the FlyakiteOSX and it looks and works great! Sexy actually :) Ill probably use this for like a month or two before i actually buy a Mac.

I just have one question:
On the top dock, when u click on the apple does the menu come down like this?
lolyt3.png

I hope u understand wat im asking :)

Reaction score
Order the mac and read OSX the missing manual and windows to OSX by the same author. While you wait for your mac you can catch up. It took me about a few hours to navigate the mac in comfort. It took about 36 hours to completely rid myself of the plague....I mean PC. After 15 years of using a PC I was very apprehensive about switching and having to learn a new OS. OSX is very easy. Like I said 36 hours and I never looked back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" macbookpro - 2.33ghz - 2gb RAM - 120gb hd
...and read OSX the missing manual and windows to OSX by the same author.

No real need to buy both books...they're basically the same. I would suggest just getting the OSX missing manual..skip the switcher one. The MM provides much more information. OSX is very intuitive, but if you really think that you'll have that much trouble figuring out how to move your files from your PC to your Mac it might be worth it. The MM is a great resource though and combined with this forum you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out your new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Get ObjectBar with an OS X skin, and ObjectDock and skin to your liking along with FlyaKiteOSX (i did that back before I owned a Mac). It's the closest looking thing to a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
here is a crazy idea, just buy a mac ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Just learn by doing. OS X is dead easy to get the hang of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Hey Nabooly, Welcome to the M-F!

Well, if you are interested in Macs. try them in the nearest Apple Store. It is worth the visit.

Reaction score
I think Alexis is right. Learn by doing. I've never read manuals for software and for Windows even when I first started to use a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Wow, that looks great! I will definintly try that out tomarrow, as its getting late now. Thanx alot!

EDIT:
So i Downloaded the FlyakiteOSX and it looks and works great! Sexy actually :) Ill probably use this for like a month or two before i actually buy a Mac.

I just have one question:
On the top dock, when u click on the apple does the menu come down like this?
lolyt3.png

I hope u understand wat im asking :)

No it does not. It has a drop down box that looks like this:

Picture 2.png

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just learn by doing. OS X is dead easy to get the hang of.

Im sure it is, but id like to get used to it before i actually get one :)

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it does not. It has a drop down box that looks like this:

Oh i c.
So lets say i wanted to get to My Documents (Actually im not sure if Mac has My Documents), how would i navigate that from the menu bar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You would actually double-click on the Hard Drive icon and something called the Finder opens up where you browse for files and applications. Think of it as the My Computer icon on your desktop and using Explorer to browse through your files.

Of course, you can just have a link to your documents and stuff right on your desktop :black:

Reaction score
Yeah I would agree with the rocket dock, and you can actually do a total shell change if you want with a program called talisman desktop I believe it is.

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^Thanx alot guys, but i got the Flyakiteosx already so im trying that out now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.