Button button who screwed with my button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I'm not sure why but everytime i hit a couple of different buttons strange things happen that I don't want to happen...

#1 VOLUME DOWN IS THE NEW caps lock
#2 up arrow goes to the Expose, That sucks
#3 brightness low is the Dashboard hot key
#4 F12 is the Dashboard hot key= and the low brightness
#5 The button that makes the screen brighter now makes this symbol when pressed ```````,strange!!
#6 I cannot use my plus sign. if I use = that works and it also turns on Num Lock and disables my space bar.

There are really more I'm finding every hour please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Sounds like your keyboard is faulty. If it was just punctuation in the wrong place I'd think it was the keyboard layout selected by OS X, but for hardware affecting buttons like numlock to be affected it's usually the keybard itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
yea thats wayyy messed up...try rebooting, repairing disk permissions and connecting a USB keyboard...if the USB keyboard works then u need a new keyboard :(

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've rebooted a half dozen times over the past month. Repaired permissions ran onyx. I thought it may be a screwy quicksi;ver keyboard shortcut thing that I may have accidently allowed to run but I'm guessing from what I'm reading by two people that it could be hardware. This is the part where I wave my fist in the air and curse. I have applecare so hopefully they'll get things sorted out? Do you think it has anything to do with me spilling soda on the keyboard, just kidding. Thats the wacky part. My macbook just sits on its liltte iCurve pedestal on the bar and when i'm not working on it I'm looking at it and saying kind and affectionate things to it. So there is no way it had anything spilt on it. One day it just started acting a little odd.

Anymore Ideas,please?

P.S. Also I'm not running on a admin account. When I login to my adMin its the same scenario. So that rules out user isolated malfunction right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Any chance someone else spilt something on it? Try te pram reset thingy.... comand option p r at start up..... what about when you boot from a osx dvd? (pres c with the disk interted as you start up)

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'd have to be sabotage. No one spilt anything on the computer that i've noticed.. I haven't tried te pram. Do you just boot it up and hold those four buttons down. Then what? What does that do? I don't usually do things to my computer that I'm not familiar with. No I haven't tried booting from disk but I've booted from a clone ExHD. That works fine but keyboard is still screwy.
Thanks for all the input keep it coming. Let me know what to do with PR thingy and i"l give it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Make sure all apps that could be affecting this sort of thing are off as well before taking it in...

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure all apps that could be affecting this sort of thing are off as well before taking it in...

Like what? I just zapped quicksilver. I never even got around to figuring it out. I'm getting ready to boot from disk and the P Ram thing did nothing. I hope its not applecare time.

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem still continues...My next mission is to remove the third party HD and replace it with the stock one. Then I'll boot it it and see if the problem continues. If it does I'm guessing it'll have to be hardware in which case it'll already be ready to ship now that I replaced the third party part with stock. Does applecare freak out if they find a third party item in there; ie memory or a HD?
Does anyone else have any help for me? I've tried everything said so far.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you modify the default settings in the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts pane?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'm still going to go with faulty keyboard :) Even if it's not, the Apple techs will boot from an external drive (proving it's not software) to test it so they'll tell you one way or another. It's got to be better than having no keyboard for ages when you've already shelled out for AppleCare!

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Negative on keyboard settings. Its going in this week. I gotta pull out all the third party stuff and off she goes. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks

OP
steven11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shazzam Sucka!! I called AC hung out on hold for 15 min. jumped through the hoops was told to call back next day hung out on hold for 5 this time. They told me what I already knew and I sent it in on Mon. at the end of the day. I got it back today in the morning. Less than 48 hours and I got a knew keyboard and cover and lid. They didn't say why but they didn't charge me so I don't care. I'm getting to be zippy fast at pulling RAM and HD. Takes like 5 minutes. Plus I got myMB back;) APPLECARE IS SO WORTH THE EXTRA LOOT!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Glad to hear it is all worked out! I agree, AppleCare is worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.