Noob needing a little help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
Hi All,

Tonight when running Onyx, a strange thing occured. Onyx was unable to automatically restart because it "was unable to find apple script'.

I ran the disc utility and got the following error.

'Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Based upon the instructions at the head of the disc utility app, I restarted the computer using the install disc and went to the disc utility on the DVD. Unfortunately, the disc utility on the DVD gives me the same message, but neither the disc utility app on the DVD or on the computer will allow me to repair the startup HD. In all instances, the option to repair disc is greyed out.

Everything seems to be running okay, except the auto restart for Onyx, but I would like to be able to repair the start up volume, regardless.

Any advice would be most welcome, as I have no idea what might have hapened, as Onyx has run fine previously.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Hmm, not sure what's going on, you should have been able to repair the disk from your restore cds. You can't do it from your installed disk utility because the disk has to be unmounted to repair, and you cant run disk utility off it, and repair it at the same time.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that makes sense, but I wonder why it won't let me repair when I am launching the utility from the DVD?

Neil M.

Reaction score
G'day nemick, try uninstalling OnyX and everything associated (use SpotLight), empty your Trash, reboot and then redownload OnyX and run it and let us know how it goes.

If it acts as per normal, and finds that the volume Macintosh HD needs minor repair, then try the install DVD/CD repair method again and report back.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, be back soon.

Neil M.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8,

I deleted and then reloaded Onyx as you suggested. Onyx worked properly this time, automatically restarting the mac when I told it too. Thats the only thing that worked though. I still have the "minor" error on the start up HD, but the repair option remains greyed out no matter what I do.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Great, I knew OnyX would work again after the reinstall.

Try these troubleshooting tips:

Zap the PRAM. Reboot your computer while holding down the command-option-p-r keys simultaneously. Don't let up until you have heard the startup chime three or four times. If you need assistance finding the command key on your keyboard, see image at bottom of this post.

Reset Open Firmware. This is a step for G3, G4, and G5 Macs only. If you have an Intel Mac, you should Zap the PRAM (see previous point). Reboot your computer while holding down the command-option-o-f keys simultaneously. At the prompt, type
reset-nvram and hit the Return key, then type
reset-all and hit the Return key again. Your computer will reboot.
* Note that these commands are correct for New World machines, those with colored plastics (iMacs, Blue and White PowerMac G3) and newer. Old World machines (G3/233 All-in-one, beige G3, etc.) are slightly different--just type the reset-all command.

Repair Permissions. Open Disk Utility (by default, it is located in /Applications/Utilities). Select your boot partition, then click the First Aid tab. Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

File System Check. This can be done in several ways, including
1. Boot to single user mode by holding down command-s during the boot process, then at the prompt typing
fsck -y and hitting the Return key. Continue to run fsck -y until no errors are found. (Note: if your hard drive is journalled, you will need to run fsck -yf. Attempting to run fsck -y will result in a message reminding you of this. Thanks to Petroffski.) Then type
shutdown -r now and hit the Return key to reboot.
2. Boot to a full OS X Install CD. From the Installer menu, select Disk Utility. Select your hard drive boot partition whose file system you wish to check, click on the First Aid tab, and click the "Repair Disk" button.
3. Boot to a third party disk utility CD and run the file system check offered therein. At this time, I can recommend DiskWarrior http://alsoft.com and Drive 10 or Tech Tool Pro 4 http://micromat.com . The third party disk utilities generally do a better and more complete job than the first two options and have been known to rescue drives that are inaccessible.

Reset PMU. Software PMU reset is ONLY for Apple portables, not desktop computers. The procedure is specific to each machine, so I can't give a synopsis here. Instead, check Apple's Knowledgebase article for resetting PMU on iBooks and PowerBooks and Apple's Knowledgebase article for resetting PMU on MacBooks and MacBook Pros. This does roughly the same thing that pressing the PMU button or CUDA switch does for desktop Macs (see the Hardware section below for more information).

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, here's what I tried.

1. I put in the disc and rebooted, presuming the mac would boot from the disc. It took alot longer to boot than usual, but then booted showing the DVD folder contents. I selected Applications/Utilities/Disc utility. The window showed my Hard Drive, my Boot up HD, the DVD and the contents of the DVD. The repair option was grey for all volumes. When verifying the HD I got the same error.

2. I went to Preferences and selected the DVD as the boot device and restarted. This time I received the Mac OS X installation screen and followed it until it appeared that it was going to re-install OS X. I quit at that point as I had not backed up any data. Perhaps something else would have occured if I had continued, but I didn't want to take the risk.

I don't know what to try next.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Neil, did you see my last post recommending some measures?

It might be worthwhile to download a 3rd party utility like Disc Warrior to check your HD out.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

I have done everything on the list except run a third party utility. I checked out Disc warrior, but to be honest, I can't afford it right now. If you know of any freeware or shareware apps that I could try, I would be happy to do so.

Neil M.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

The link didn't show up, unfortunately.

Neil M.

Reaction score
My bad ... I'm actually vacuuming the house while doing the forum thing ....

Look at that link now .....

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

I have to get some sleep. I'l download in the am.

NeilM

ps, thanks for all your help with this

Reaction score
OK neil, I'll check back later tonight to see if you've had any luck. Don't worry too much about things, it's sure to something we can sort out ...

Reaction score
Neil, don't use that link ... it just takes you to the version you have to buy.

I'll keep looking for clues to this and will also find another disk repair utility that has a free trial.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

Thanks for the heads up on the link not working. I did try it a couple of times and was beginning to think I was going even crazier.

I'll look around for a utility too, although I hardly knopw what I am looking at.

Neil M.

Reaction score
G'day nemick,

I found AppleJack and it may help you out:

AppleJack is a user friendly troubleshooting assistant for Mac OS X. With AppleJack you can troubleshoot a computer even if you can't load the GUI, or don't have a startup CD handy. AppleJack runs in Single User Mode and is menu-based for ease of use.
Using AppleJack, you can repair your disk, repair permissions, validate the system's preference files, and get rid of possibly corrupted cache files. In most cases, these operations can help get your machine back on track. The important thing is that you don't need another startup disk with you. All you need to do is restart in Single User Mode (SUM), by holding down the command and s keys at startup, and then typing applejack, or applejack auto (which will run through all the tasks automatically), or applejack auto restart (which will also restart the computer automatically at the end of the process).

Here is the download link.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

Thanks. I will download, run it and get back to you.

Neil M.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Martin,

That fixed it in no time flat, great little program. I can't thank you enough for your help and your patience. You are the Man.

Neil M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.