foreign fonts

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help....

I'm doing some graphics work and I have to get some foreign fonts (japanese, chinese, arabic, russian etc.) into photoshop, illustrator or flash. The file I've been sent is a word .doc and my G4 emac (osx 10.3.9) automatically opens it in text edit where some of the fonts are not appearing as they should - all the languages in text edit are ticked.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I've put this in the right place, if not, sorry for any inconvenience it may cause the mods.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi belimited! Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Have you tried making a text box in a new Illustrator document and importing the .doc file in the text box?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For starters, I wouldn't use TextEdit to open a .doc file. Just because you can open a .doc in TextEdit, doesn't mean you should. :black:
Use MS Word, or if you don't have MS Office, you can dowload and use NeoOffice.
Second, ask what the fonts are that you were sent. If you don't have those fonts installed on your system, then no matter what you use to open the .doc, you won't be able to see them correctly.

M

MacHeadCase

Oh and if you have Illustrator CS2, you will need to use the Place command. See attached screenshots below...

Illustrator_Place.jpg

Insert_text_Illustrator.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

DB, if you import the text in Illustrator in a text box, wouldn't you get a list of the deactivated fonts that you need to activate?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. This has been driving me nuts all day! I had already tried so many different things, but just found that my foreign fonts were disabled in font book, and I was so sure that was one of the first things I checked!:blind:

Anyway, not only have I solved a problem, I've found a great forum too - it's been a good day after all.:mac:

M

MacHeadCase

Well whoopee! And welcome aboard again! :girl:

Oh and if you have a lot of fonts you might need something a bit more powerful than Font Book.

There is a freebie that I use (no cash for Suitcase, unfortunately...) and it's Linotype's FontExplorer X. Look it up in Google, I think you'll like it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh and if you have a lot of fonts you might need something a bit more powerful than Font Book.

There is a freebie that I use (no cash for Suitcase, unfortunately...) and it's Linotype's FontExplorer X. Look it up in Google, I think you'll like it.

Font book seems to be okay at the moment, but I'll look into FontExplorer X, sounds like something which may come in handy when I get another few hundred fonts to browse through. Thanks for the tip.:mac:

M

MacHeadCase

Well in case you want to look it up eventually, here's the link: FontExplorer X.

Bookmark it, it might come in handy. :girl:

Edited to add:

For Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.