Changing MacBook's sleep mode

Reaction score
I came across this article on Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/10/sleepmode/index.php) about changing the MacBook (Pro)'s sleep mode...I'm interested in changing it from the deep sleep to the older sleep mode that the iBook's had, where the computer goes to sleep immediately (but the contents of the RAM are not written to the harddrive). I have no real use for the MacBook's hibernate mode...I don't have a spare battery, and I'm not worried about the computer losing all its charge while it's asleep. My real questions about changing the sleep mode are:

- does changing the sleep mode to the old-style sleep make it any more dangerous to carry the MacBook around while it's sleeping? I *always* carry mine around while it is asleep, but is there any greater risk of it turning on when it's in the old sleep mode?
- will the MacBook lose more charge when it's asleep in the old sleep mode than in its usual hibernate mode? I can put it to sleep for a few hours now and lose almost no charge, but if it's going to lose a lot of charge while it's in the old sleep mode, it's not worth it
- does changing the sleep mode affect the behaviour on wake-up? Right now, when it wakes up, my MacBook is in the exact same state I left it in. Is this how old sleep mode works too?
- are there *any* dangers to changing the sleep mode I should know about?

I use sleep mode all the time, and getting the MacBook to go to sleep immediately (as opposed to the 15-20 seconds it takes with hibernate mode) would really be great, but if there are any dangers to doing it, I'm not going to...

thank you for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You know what an easy way to get your Macbook to go to sleep? Just close the lid. It'll go to sleep instantly and when you open up the lid, you're back to how you left it. So there's really no reason to use the Sleep option under the Apple dropdown menu when you have a portable Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
there is still a delay between the time u close the lid and the time the white light starts 'snoring'.

OP
V
Reaction score
You know what an easy way to get your Macbook to go to sleep? Just close the lid. It'll go to sleep instantly and when you open up the lid, you're back to how you left it. So there's really no reason to use the Sleep option under the Apple dropdown menu when you have a portable Mac.
the delay between closing the lid (how I put it to sleep) & when the computer is actually asleep (the light is pulsing) is about 20-25 seconds in regular sleep mode. Changing the sleep mode cuts it down to about 3-5 seconds. That makes a big difference for me when I'm on the run, and especially since I don't have any use for the default mode's writing the RAM to the HD...but I want to know if changing the sleep mode is dangerous to the computer.

Anyway, I actually went ahead and changed it...if anyone else is interested, the computer now goes to sleep 3-5 seconds after closing the lid, and upon waking it is in the same state as it was left. I'm still interested to know whether the battery will drain more in this sleep mode than in the default sleep mode, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey, I'm on the run as well. I use my Macbook for taking notes in class. So I close the lid and stuff the laptop into my bag right away several times a day.

Plus, seems to me that my Macbook goes to sleep near instantly when I close the lid as the blinking light starts within a matter of a few seconds. I've found that Macs have a better standby system than Windows. Though I don't know why it's taking your computer almost 30 seconds to go into sleep mode.

OP
V
Reaction score
...you could be damaging your harddrive when you do that...

the MacBooks (in their default sleep mode) aren't fully asleep until the light starts pulsing. It takes around 20 seconds for that to happen (check it out in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJOflaI9r4&eurl=). During the time after you close the lid but before the light pulses, the contents of the RAM are being written to the hard drive. If you move it before the light pulses, I'd assume that harddrive is spinning, and it could be damaged. The mod I posted changes the sleep behaviour so that the RAM isn't written to the HD, so it does go to sleep right away. I'd stop putting your computer away right after you close the lid if I were you.. (or at least use this hack to change the sleep mode)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.