Logic Pro 7 & USB recording trauma! HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
Hi guys. I need help!

I've recently (within the last week) started encountering some quite serious, prohibitive issues when recording in Logic Pro 7 and hope that someone might be able to help.

NB* I'm not a Logic or Mac n00b, so be as detailed as you like/can!

Started a new track; using various EXS24, Ultrabeat, and also Reaktor 5 for a synth & an effects box. I know that my machine ain't 'all that' anymore so I make good use of the 'Freeze Track' when I'm not editing an AU part (it helps!).

The Problem -

I'm trying to record a guitar through my MAudio MobilePre USB, and am encountering problems. My live input strip has a bunch of plugins on it, most of them turned off; I'm only using Guitar Amp Pro on this occasion. When trying to record, and the track is running, it'll get to a point where a big guitar line (1 track, mono) comes in and then jitter & stop, telling me that the disk is too slow or the system has overloaded.

I've never really encountered this before. I try not to run anything else (I even have the AirPort turned off) while using Logic Pro as I know it's quite system hungry. This has only happened quite recently, and I'm concerned that either A) my USB device is buggered or B) my Mac has gone a bit doolally! I've reinstalled the drivers for the USB device, and am running it on the native port (not a hub; the Logic dongle, my mouse, and a MIDI KB are on the unpowered hub).

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might be able to fix this issue, as I've got a ton of ideas that I need to get recorded!

THANKYOU!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 512Mb RAM, 60gig HDD, DVD/CDR, OS 10.4.8
It appears that as I've now unplugged my dongle, mouse, and MIDI KB from the unpowered USB hub (and plugged only the dongle into the other native USB port) everything is working...ish!

And *shame* I cleared a good 10gig of junk from my HDD. BUT, that doesn't explain why, at 7gig left on the drive, Logic throws up a disk-too-slow message.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Okay I'll try. Maybe your disk is too slow and even with you cutting back on superfluous things it's still not enough. When I use Logic or Garageband I run off an external 7200rpm drive which makes a big difference to the internal one on my mini.

I always try to keep at least 15gig free, can't recall the reason but it was advice a guy on the Apple Logic forum gave me. Also you've only got 512mb of RAM and perhaps the system is asking the disk to take some of the load.

As far as the MAudio MobilePre goes if you've got Garageband give it try as it uses less resources. At least that'll let you know if it's the unit or your Mac with the problem.

It's also common advice to not use hubs with any recording gear as you can run into all sorts of probs, especially if they're not powered.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.