Need a printer compatible with OS 8.6.

Reaction score
I don't know very much about the Mac world, but I need the name of some printer models (still on sale) that are compatible in a PowerPC G3 (350Mhz) with 8.6 OS. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
Well seeings that no one else is touching this one, (though someone would know) guess I'll chime in. 1) I'm assuming your g3 has usb. 2) I'm assuming your asking if any of the new printers sold in stores now can be used with 8.6 . The answer is I don't really know. But you can call or visit shops that sell printers and the sales people should be able to tell you if it is or not. If they don't know they should be able to find out. Another option is find the model #'s of the printers you are interested in and go to the manufactures web pages and go to support and see if there are drivers for 8.6 . My guess is not, but you may get lucky.

Reaction score
If you have a usb card its not that new printers will not work its that there are no drivers for them [OS8]. Go to the local thrift store and look at used printers, Epsons with apple talk connections,Canons with apple talk and B&W laser printers with apple talk or cat5 ethernet.The laser printers work with postscript drivers in OS8.I saw an awesome HP laser printer this week thats just the ticket,office model only $12.00.Might need a toner.but it will last forever. Early USB printers like Epson,Canon,Brother,HP have OS 8 drivers ,the cut off was around 2002.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay and thanks to respond.

I've found an HP deskjet 5150 which is compatible with OS 8.6 and there are official drivers in the HP webpage for 8.6.

The drivers are in .sit format, I've downloaded stuffit for windows and decompressed it, but there is only a file (9MB) with no extension so I don't know if I the Mac computer will open it with no problems or I will need something else.

(The Mac computer is in another house and I can't download programs there, there is no connection to the net)

This is the link:
Drivers OS 8.6

Anyone knows if I can decompress the .sit file in windows and burn the file with no extension into a CD an open it in the Mac? Thanks.

Reaction score
There are no extensions for pre-OS X Mac apps. They're handled by the resource fork inside each app that has two forks; resource and data. A Windows machine likely would discard the file's resource fork, and the Mac won't know what to do with it. Stuffit for Mac has a preference setting to keep stuffed files' resource forks. Edited to add: Burn the stuffed file. The Mac's Stuffit app, hopefully, will be able to open it. I don't think the Windows machine could affect the file while it's still stuffed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Allright, thank you really.

I remember seeing Stuffit Expander or something like this in the Mac, but I tried to open a .sit file with no luck, maybe it was an old version I'll try to find a stuff it installation file for mac just in case but I'm afraid it will have to be an old version of Stuffit I guess.

Reaction score
This link is to the free Stuffit Expander for systems 8.6 and 9 at versiontracker. It's Version 7.0.3.

It downloads as a sit file, so if you burn it on the Windows box, it should transfer to the Mac. The age-old chicken-and-egg problem, though, is that it needs Expander to open it. But if you open it on a Windows machine, the resource fork might be deleted.

Check the preferences/properties of the Windows version of Expander to see if it can keep all the Mac data.

I could send Expander to you unstuffed then compressed again with the old DiskDoubler app as a self-expanding file so the Windows machine couldn't delete anything. You could burn that, and open it on the old Mac because the file self-expands. But I'd need your email address.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry, I discovered the Mac world recently and I'm still learning, well with this issue I've learned more things.

My e-mail is [email protected], I would appreciate it if you send me the file, thank you again.

Reaction score
Burn the Mac download just as you get ,don't open it ,do that on the Mac with Expander.Click on the CD icon and drag the file out of the window to the desktop,were a copy will be made then open it.Expander will do the rest and then click the mac installer. Basicly you can burn Mac programs etc on a PC just the way they are downloaded then move the CD to the Mac and open it there.

OP
A
Reaction score
Burn the Mac download just as you get ,don't open it ,do that on the Mac with Expander.Click on the CD icon and drag the file out of the window to the desktop,were a copy will be made then open it.Expander will do the rest and then click the mac installer. Basicly you can burn Mac programs etc on a PC just the way they are downloaded then move the CD to the Mac and open it there.

Yes I have done that but the Stuffit Expander (v4.5) doesn't do anything when I click on the desktop copy of the .sit files, maybe it's too old.

Reaction score
Yes you need the lastest version that runs under OS9(v7.) to open a .sit file.It has a a self expanding installer so you can download it on the PC and burn it or put it on a jump drive and move it to the Mac to install stuffit expander 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.