Hard Drive Icon On Desktop

Reaction score
Hi sorry but i'm new to the mac world. Just purchase a new Macbook Pro 15 inch, with 2.16 C2D, 1 gig ram, and 120 HD. There one thing that really makes me mad about the mac desktop is that, I set my desktop to show the amount of hd space i have available and used on my desktop. The icon wont update the info, keeps on saying i have like 90 gig left when i know there is less, since i just aded like 3 gig of mp3. Strange thing is when i reboot the comp it shows the correct info on my desktop with the hd icon... very werid...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
When you double-click the HD Icon, is the Capacity info on the bottom of the Finder Window correct?

Welcome to the Forums!

OP
KNEE
Reaction score
Hd Icon

:dive: Not sure, I never check it like that...usually i would go file info on the hd then it launch another small box where i can change the color and stuff and it shows me the info of my hd....those info are correct. I'll try your method later tonight since my macbook pro is at home...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
mine does the same...it only updates after i log out and then back in...

OP
KNEE
Reaction score
Hd Icon

Wow that kinda lame....kinda defeats the purpose of having it display like that....to bad.....any 1 else have this problem. I guess i can live with it..but kinda dumb in apple to design it like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
I'm not 100% (more like 95.8%) but the amount of free space that appears under the HDD icon on the desktop will only refresh if Finder is restarted.

It doesn't actively/automatically update to my knowledge.

Reaction score
Since its so annoying just turn it off. Its distrating and usually off by a bit. When you really need to know just double click and look at the bottom of the window.

Reaction score
This has always been the case for me as well and the only reason why I keep that option on is because I am constantly connecting external HDs and servers so I get the current usage info on those when they are connected.

I find this bug truely annoying though and perhaps we will see an improvement in 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All you have to do is relaunch the Finder to get the updated information.
Bring up the 'Force Quit' menu, select Finder, and then hit the Relaunch button.
Then your volume information will be updated on your Desktop.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I use a widget called iStat pro that updates on the fly. Google it. :)

Reaction score
How do you do this i am been trying to find out how do I get my HD data information under the icon on desktop since i saw this thread

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on the Finder in the Dock. Be sure Finder is showing in the tool bar at the top. Click View, Click on Show View Options. Check Show Item Info. Below is a pic of that panel.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I noticed the numbers on the icon were off but never realized why, good to know that its not wrong, but just need to be updated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Wow that kinda lame....kinda defeats the purpose of having it display like that....to bad.....any 1 else have this problem. I guess i can live with it..but kinda dumb in apple to design it like that.

same boat, very dissappointed with osx in that regard. whats the point of using it? nada

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.