Copying CD's and DVD's

Reaction score
I will be getting my mac at the end of the month and I have a question about copying CD's. Whenever we buy a kids CD I always take it and instantly make a copy of it. I let the kids use the copy and keep the original safe because they inevedably scratch it. On my windows machine I use a program called NERO to copy CD's. How do I copy a CD on a mac?

Also, I have home videos of kids soccer games on DVD. How can I copy a DVD on the mac? Is this easy as well?

OP
M
Reaction score
You are going to want MediaFork or MacTheRipper.

Welcome to the forums MikeT.
Thanks man. Are there any limitations or will they copy anything. I ask because of professionally made DVDs. The kids also have a way of turning them into coasters also.... :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No restrictions... they will RIP anything I have thrown at them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You'll probably also want Toast by Roxie, world's best burning program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I have ran into only two dvd's that mediafork and MTR wont rip.. I have yet to find a way around this.. the encryption must be something new it cant get around.. oh and by the way I own these dvd's that I am trying to rip.

T

todd51

I think Toast is more like Nero for windows. Of course the two RIDE mentioned are free, so try those out first to see if they will suit your needs.

If not I highly recommend Toast like the others suggested, it works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I think Toast is more like Nero for windows. Of course the two RIDE mentioned are free, so try those out first to see if they will suit your needs.

If not I highly recommend Toast like the others suggested, it works great!

Toast will not RIP any Encrypted media... it just burns the media after MacTheRipper or MediaFork have ripped the encryption from the media.

EDIT: From Roxio:

Roxio or Sonic will not copy a commercial film DVD such as movies which you rent/purchase. This is because these movies are CSS (Content Scrambling System) encrypted and our software does not bypass any level of encryption.
However, some of our software allows you to edit and/or copy DVDs that are not encrypted. These discs are made by our software or recorded by DVD recorders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have ran into only two dvd's that mediafork and MTR wont rip.. I have yet to find a way around this.. the encryption must be something new it cant get around.. oh and by the way I own these dvd's that I am trying to rip.

What were the DVD's? You may want to give MediaFork a try, as it is the most "up-to-date".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
What were the DVD's? You may want to give MediaFork a try, as it is the most "up-to-date".

Silent Hill and The Grudge Two.. I have tried MTR, Mediafork, Handbrake and every free other option.. If I knew for a fact that any program I pay for would work for ALL dvd's I would gladly spend the cash. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That's interesting... I have never seen MacTheRipper NOT rip something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
No restrictions... they will RIP anything I have thrown at them.

I 2nd that.
One of my roomies is always giving me DVDs to *cough*archive*cough* for him because his Windows software can't do it.
MacTheRipper has NEVER failed me.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, so I would need MTR or Mediafork to rip the DVD to my HD. Then I would need a different program to burn them on the new DVD. Do I have that right? Is there a good free downloadable program to burn the DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd read this burning comparision, and choose which best fit your needs, a few of them are free.

click here

Reaction score
I have tried to rip my "personal" copy of SAW 3 to take on a trip with me and Mac the Ripper give me a error when reading or checking the disc. The disc is brand new with no scratches or dirt.

Any ideas??

Reaction score
sometimes disks have empty cells and the people who make it ie. Sony Columbia Tristar, put those in it to try and stop people from making copies and selling them, but you can use dvd2onex to remove the empty cells.

as for bad sectors i duno, thats happened to me a couple times too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.