Copy/Paste Error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
My colleague has a consistent error with Finder. (Panther, 1st gen G5) He mainly works off of the server, and when Command+C, Command+V, posting one photo to another place, it prompts him that the photo already exists in that location. He clicks Yes, then it allows him to do it on the second attempt. It does it every time for him and it's bizarre to me. Any thoughts?

Deus

M

MacHeadCase

I wonder... Has your colleague always had that type of error message or has it just happened recently?

I know that Panther was very finicky with that dang disk permissions thing, it could be that too.

Do both the G5 and server have the same OS (Panther) or does the server have Tiger, for example?

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I wonder... Has your colleague always had that type of error message or has it just happened recently?

I know that Panther was very finicky with that dang disk permissions thing, it could be that too.

Do both the G5 and server have the same OS (Panther) or does the server have Tiger, for example?

He said he's always had that problem with his computer. We're running off of a Dell Powervault, albeit no one else seems to have the problem. Most of the other computers have since upgraded to Tiger.

M

MacHeadCase

Could be the Panther thing.

As an example, here at school we often take from the server files to work on from teachers' partitions. Each time we have to change permissions on folders and/or files taken from the server 'cause they come in as Read Only.

Server is Tiger, student workstations are running on Panther.

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Repaired permissions and now the problem is intermittent. It also exclusively happens when DnDing a single item, but a group is no trouble. Strange.

M

MacHeadCase

Very. There must be something that makes all the difference in this case but it's pretty hard to tell what it could be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.