Airport network help

W

WilliS

alright, im at college and, in order to sneak in an extra connection to run my ibook, i specify my airport and my computer to the university.

they have things locked down obviously, so they go by the mac address of each computer in order to get them online. so i gave them the mac address of my airport... and my airport then routes my connection to my g5 and my ibook.

the only problem is, i cant see anyone on the network because the airport acts as a router...so i can only view my own network between the 2 computers... anything beyond that is out of my reach. im wondering, is it possible to see past my airport to see more of the network? and if so, there is another router for my building... can i look even past that to see the entire university network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you able to see the things you're supposed to see? My first thought is that the MAC addresses have been secured to eliminate war driving - or any signal borrowing it's a radio signal, everyone hears the same music...

OP
W

WilliS

who?

when i had just my g5 plugged into the wall, i could see everyone in my building who was sharing things...

now of course i cant because it stops at the first router (my airport) which means the only possible people i can see on the network is me and myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Hmm well isn't the school supposed to help you with that? I mean that's a useless connection... or are you out of range?

OP
W

WilliS

uh..your missing my point...

the school doesnt care about my connection....all they know is that im connected...

my computer obviously gets online...im typing this right now...

its that i wanted to know if my airport had a setting to allow me to browse computers on the school network...pretty much allow me to see past it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well that is what I was getting at in my first reply, all that is probably secured off - you need permissions to see all the others on the net I would think

OP
W

WilliS

no, i can see people on the network when im not behind my router...

and i can see as far out as the first router that i come in contact with

and im wondering if anyone knows what i would have to do to see past the router and view the network

OP
P

PowerbookG417

no no no
what its doing i think your tryin to get at is that becuase of the airport you are on your own domain and airport domain instaed of the school domain
what you can do is go into the airport admin and you wanna choose show all options and make sure you pick the option that allows your to bridge the airport or for it to keep the same ip address over the airport network
i have this same option being used at home i just cant remember the cetrain spot, if you send me a PM i will look it up on my airport when i get home and tell you in more detail or someone else might beat me to it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My guess is to get the MAC addresses that are past the router. Maybe the network admin can help. Can you use your browser?

OP
W

WilliS

thanks powerbook

whiteshark... your in left field buddy :p

ill try to explain this again to you

G5-------->
-------------------------Airport-----> Jack in wall ---> my buildings network ---> my universities network
iBook---->

ok... my g5 and ibook are connected to the airport wirelessly. my airport acts as not only a hub, but a router too (able to split one connection, and fabricate me uh..up to 255 connections)... so both my g5 and ibook have local connections (ie 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 whatever) i can get online and everything...

my university asks for 1 thing, my mac address....its a number specific to your network interface card, and its how you can keep track of everyone on your netork.

in return they give me an ip address, gateway, and so on.

i gave them the mac address of my airport, and they gave me my info, and i set the airport to have that ip and gateway. then when my ibook and g5 connect to the airport, the airport can send information to local addresses.... so it grabs a webpage ip, and routes it to my g5 local address... or my ibook local address..depending on which one im accessing the information from.

where im having my problem is exactly what powerbook said... i can view only the computers "local" to me..which would be my own computers only.. because my address is 10.0.1.1 and the rest of the network is like 66.67.*.*

***edit***
i cant ask for help on something im not allowed to have on campus :p

the admins dont allow wireless networks because of hot spots on their network which they want to prevent...pretty much anyone can get on the university network if they are close enough to a wireless connection.... except my airport is locked down....and no one can get on it without my password... so it really isnt a problem... but they still dont want them being used...so im kinda out of luck if i needed to go get help from my universitly computer department

(plus they are just kids who need jobs...and they sit there and report problems.... i can talk circles around them just in the field of networking alone lol...they wouldnt have a clue as to what i was talking about)

OP
T

trenollet

To answer your question, Basically No.

Your Airport is assigning you a non-routable Class "A" ip address and it is getting it's address from your campus network which is routable. I acts as a gateway for your Mac's and also protects you from being seen by everyone else.

There may be some proxy programs out there that might allow for you pass-thru the airport but that usualy requires a computer on the other side to run the proxy program. So if you have a buddy in another room, or same room if you share for that matter, you might see if he / she will run the proxy service on thier computer. Then you could connect and view the rest of the network via his / her computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
What if you hardwired the G5 to the network and enabled connection sharing (basically the G5 becomes a hub)?

It can use the airport card to allow the laptop to connect. I don't know if you might have the same issue with the IP address but the G5 may pass through the data differently than a true hub (Airport base station) does.

Jerry

OP
W

WilliS

ah ok thanks trenollet... i tried eithernet bridging, but that was a no-go...it killed my connection

its not a big deal... i only have a month left of school...i just wanted to know for reference and stuff

GLJones-- thats a creative solution.. and would most likely work... my G5 would be allowed to see the network and my ibook would be connected wirelessly after the G5 shaired its connection to the airport... hehe *thumbs up* for that one...i wouldnt have even thought of doing that... except i would have to send them my mac address change, which would involve a few days of downtime... ill certainly do it next year :)

OP
T

trenollet

Right on. I think GLJones is on to something there. You could make that work and then set the airport back up as a bridge to allow a seemless connection between the G5 and the iBook. Use the G5 for browsing the campus network, and if you want to copy something to the iBook, just share it on the G5.

I don't have much experiance with the Airport, but I think it sets up like most other Router / WAP's. You might enable DMZ to your G5 for now and see if that helps the browsing issue. I believe port 137 is used to broadcast network share info on the LAN.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

GLJones said:
What if you hardwired the G5 to the network and enabled connection sharing (basically the G5 becomes a hub)?

It can use the airport card to allow the laptop to connect. I don't know if you might have the same issue with the IP address but the G5 may pass through the data differently than a true hub (Airport base station) does.

Jerry

That is what I do in my apartment at school.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

NO NO NO NO NO...im tell you did you look in your airport admin for the bridge option or to not assign the 10. ip addy at home i have this setup
cable modem ---> dlink router ---> airport ---> wifi computers
wired computers
i was able to find this document on the apple site real quick its from os 9 and a graphite airport or but the screens and options are basically the same

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58597

as it says in the top line " You may set up the AirPort Base Station (Graphite) to act as an AirPort-to-Ethernet bridge but not a router " that way it will assign your mac a 66.67 ip your looking for or the ip assign to you by the server.

at home with this setup the ip that i show in my system prefs is 192.168.0.xxx the ip assign to the airport from the dlink router...presto...give it a shot..i bet you'll be laughin :)

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.