g4 PSU question (of compatibility)

Reaction score
hi, i picked up a g4, it appears to be a sawtooth, of which i already have one i use at home. but the 22-pin psu on the g4 is dead - the dead psu was ACBEL-9841-291-REV B (126W,max i think).

the psu i have in my working sawtooth is DELTA-DPS-338BB-A-REV.01 (338W).

i remembered i had a shell of an old dell, i checked that psu. it's a 22-pin as well - ANTEC-PP303X (300W).

am i able to use the ANTEC in the sawtooth as a replacement for the ACBEL ?

can anyone advise ? i'm not that familiar with the do's and don'ts on this!

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Take a look at the main power connectors to see if the wires are the same. If both 22-pin connectors have the same colors in the same places, I dont' see why it wouldn't work.

Don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work!

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for that - geez i did need sleep last night ! the antec has 20-pins! DOH!

ok can anyone recommend a psu that would work in a g4, cheap as possible, like $50 or less ? the delta and acbel's go for closer to $100, on bay, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
sorry, back again - is it easy to swap pins in a psu ? if so, how do you ? thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I tried to do a mod to a standard 20pin ATX psu, but it didn't work, as my G4 has 22 pins also.

I think your best bet would be to find a used psu from a G4 on eBay. If you go this route, make sure it's the Rev. B (or 2) PSU for a G4 Sawtooth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.