Macbook won't print to WinXP printer - help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
Ok, so here's my setup first:

13" Macbook, OS X Tiger, 1.83GHz C2D, 1GB, 60GB.

Dell Dimension 8100, WinXP Pro, 1.3GHz P4, 512MB, 2x 40GB HDD, 20GB HDD.

Brother HL-2040 laser printer

Problem:

For the life of me, I cannot get my MacBook to print to my laser printer on my WinXP Pro server. I do not believe this is a network issue - I also have 2 other WinXP computers that can print to it fine.

I've made several attempts to get this to work and have failed. Get the following errors:

"Unable to connect to SAMBA host - will retry in 60 seconds ... DEBUG: SendPageData() HalftonePixMap"

which then turns into this error:

"connection failed with error - NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY"

I've done everything listed in these two links.

http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0201.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-130238.html

I've also disabled firewall to see if this was causing a problem. I even checked the support site for Brother printers to see what they recommended. No luck.

I've noticed in the forum several other individuals have had similar issues. Has anyone had any luck without having to go buy additional hardware such as an Airport Extreme?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
Let me know if you figure this out - I can't print either

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just broke down and ordered a new D-Link router with a print server. :)

Should be interesting to see if this is ever fixed though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
SAMBA is the program that allows your Mac to communicate using Server Message Blocks, a networking protocol that Windows uses. If SAMBA is displaying an error, it's because it can't connect due to a network problem. When you say that you turned off the firewall, is that Windows' firewall you're talking about or the firewall on your router?

Also, for those of you that can connect, but can't print, look at the Networking Printers FAQ. This will also be relevant when using the D-LINK print server that was mentioned.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say that you turned off the firewall, is that Windows' firewall you're talking about or the firewall on your router?

I've disabled every firewall I can - both on MacBook (I had initially turned it on) and on my Windows XP Pro PC. At this time do not seem to have the ability to disable my firewall on my router. Bear in mind that this is a Network Everywhere branded Linksys router - model NR041. Uses NAT as its firewall. I've had it for a couple of years - so an updated router won't hurt. :)

Also, for those of you that can connect, but can't print, look at the Networking Printers FAQ. This will also be relevant when using the D-LINK print server that was mentioned.

Actually - I have seen that thread and have tried everything there. To no avail though. Thanks again though!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I would love it if it were that simple!! Unfortunately, I'm printing from a Windows XP Pro computer. No point in buying a MacBook if you have to connect a printer to it and can't be mobile. :(

I'm glad to hear that the Epson was easy to setup though. I also have an Epson Photo Stylus R200 printer. Can't even set it up right now.

Thanks again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've disabled every firewall I can - both on MacBook (I had initially turned it on) and on my Windows XP Pro PC. At this time do not seem to have the ability to disable my firewall on my router. Bear in mind that this is a Network Everywhere branded Linksys router - model NR041. Uses NAT as its firewall. I've had it for a couple of years - so an updated router won't hurt. :)

Actually - I have seen that thread and have tried everything there. To no avail though. Thanks again though!

In your case, I don't think you're even getting a connection. Have you tried setting up Bonjour? The router's firewall shouldn't be an issue since that is acting as a firewall for the Internet (not the internal LAN). Are you sure the settings you're using are correct?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love it if it were that simple!! Unfortunately, I'm printing from a Windows XP Pro computer. No point in buying a MacBook if you have to connect a printer to it and can't be mobile. :(

I'm glad to hear that the Epson was easy to setup though. I also have an Epson Photo Stylus R200 printer. Can't even set it up right now.

Thanks again.

Your printer is shared from your Mac and you're trying to connect to it from an XP machine. Is that right?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your printer is shared from your Mac and you're trying to connect to it from an XP machine. Is that right?

No, printer is shared from Windows XP Pro computer. Trying to print from my Macbook.

Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I bought a D-Link DI-704UP router w/ print server and I'm now printing to my Brother HL-2040 laser printer from my Macbook. I'm listing my printer model for future people as the HL-2040 is not technically on the supported list for D-Link. However, per Brother, any Brother printer bought within the last 3 years should work on this D-Link print server.

I still don't know why I could not print with my old router, but that's cool. Everything works now - and that's what counts.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear that you've got it working.

What was the model of your old router?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a Network Everywhere NR041 from Linksys. Cheap router when I bought it - probably about $35 - 45 a year and a half ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I have a Linksys WRT54GS. I'm still researching whether or not I need a new printer or a new router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Canon S250. It's 3-4 years old. It's listed as a supported printer for OS/X, but I haven't found any configuration that will work with it. Linksys says that because I can print from other wireless machines that it's not an issue with the router.

I've tried everything so I'm done - now I've given up and I'm shopping for a printer.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck on the new printer. Printers can be absolutely frustrating somedays.

Reaction score
Printing Issues

I was having similar issues printing to an HP PSC3180. Everytime I would print I would get a NT_LOGIN error or some such nonsense. At the time, I was using a common user name and password which had a space in it. I eliminated the space in the user name on all three machines that I print from (2 Mac/ 1 XP) and now I can print fine. I can't seem to find the exact driver I need, but I found one for a similar HP printer and all is now well.

It took over 6 months of playing with things to get this to work including Bonjour, etc.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone else mentioned the same thing about the name. I reset my user name so it had no space on all computers. I even setup the same user name and password for my Windows box as I had on my Macbook.

Bonjour just wouldn't work either. Forget why now, but I just couldn't get it to work. :(

But that was then - this is now. And now I'm loving my Macbook and able to print.

Now I get to go get my wife a Macbook. One less windows computer in the house. Life is good. :D

Reaction score
My HP 7300 printer that is connected to a WinXP machine/network worked out of the box using a hard network cable from my MacBook.

My problem is that it prints sssssssooooooo slow. 8 pages from the internet or a .pdf take over an hour. Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.