MacBook does not see CD-R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black, 2G Intel Duo, 100G HD, 2G Ram, OS-X 10.5.8
Trying to burn some pictures on a Maxell CD-Rpro. I put the disc in and the dialog box opens to ask me if I want Finder or Disk Utility to open but the disc never shows on the desktop or in Finder. When I try to Burn something to the disc I get an error dialog box saying the disc is not supported.
A DVD plays fine so I don't think it is the drive. Are some newer blank discs not support by the MacBook drive? Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I assume this is a SuperDrive, yes? Apparently there are some issues with SDs, based on what I found via Google. They are a bit finicky. A few weeks ago I had some trouble with my MacBook and DVDs. While your problem is with a CD-R, my guess is this is a similar problem.

What happened with me was that I could burn Fuji DVD+RWs, but could not rewrite them. Also, I could read various media w/o trouble - data DVDs, video DVDs, audio CDs, et al. I seemed too to be having some apparent trouble with Sony DVD-RWs, but that turned out to be a matter of impatience on my end. A call to Apple service and some testing suggested my drive was functional. The service person suggested I try Verbatim media as the SD was designed to that. (She said that even though Apple has their own discs, Verbatim worked better.) I bought a couple Verbatim DVDs (a +RW and a -RW), and they both worked fine, QED.

You might try a Verbatim disc. Get one if you can (locally or from an online dealer) and see how it goes.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.