DVD Player

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just got my first mac (Late 06 black macbook) having been drooling since first seeing one in August.

I think I have made a very foolish mistake, as follows;

I deleted (and emptied the trash) DVD player, and now I'd like to reinstall it (That's the last time I'll be so hasty)
I have a dvd player 4.6 update file from apple which I ran on a whim, it said I couldn't update because I had a later version of DVD player.
I've also searched spotlight for any trace of dvd player, with none found.

I also tried to reinstall dvd player from the OS x install disk, but couldn't find it listed under bundled apps!

At the moment I'm using vlc, which is ok, but it's just a matter of preference in wanting dvd player (even quicktime would be ok). Am I doomed to live without DVD Player? Or is there an avenue I haven't explored?

p.s bring on time machine!
p.p.s is there any way of playing a dvd through quicktime without having to open the ifo files? i.e. simply?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Check this program out, it plays almost anything.

VLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Umm, he said he's using VLC right now. He wants to get DVD Player back.

You can download the latest version of DVD Player from Apple's site right here.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I've tried downloading the latest version of DVD player, but on selecting the destination drive I get the error;

You cannot install DVD Player on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume

Macintosh HD also has a red exclamation mark on it :O

Again, I've searched with spotlight and in finder for any remains of dvd player, with none found.

:S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What Version of OS X are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8.... I'll archive my DVD player and email it to you. What is your email addy? You can PM me if you like.

Welcome to Mac-Forums and Congrats on the Mac!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ok... I just emailed it to you... Follow the instructions to open it, and let us know if it works.

OP
J
Reaction score
Worked perfectly!

Another triumph! I could just imagine the .dll trouble of trying to do that on a Windows based machine.

Thanks very much RIDE!

M

MacHeadCase

If ever you get in a tight spot and need to re-install just a piece of OS X from your install disk, Pacifist is a godsend.

Welcome aboard, judvard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
wow i got a negative rep for suggesting VLC. i understand it was not a full on solution for the problem BUT it would play dvds just like dvd player.

edit: okay so he is using it, i made a mistake. neg rep me for it? boo to you....

you know who you are

Reaction score
What Version of OS X are you running 10.4.7 or 10.4.8.... I'll archive my DVD player and email it to you. What is your email addy? You can PM me if you like.

I've had exactly the same situation as judvard when I tried to install the update from apple. I'm running Osx 10.4.11 and it's saying I have a later version already installed. When I do a hard drive search, all I can find relating to the dvd player, is a dvd player folder in Application support, and in that folder are 2 folders. One called Scripts, which is empty, and the other called Settings, which contains many items like this: 427c235a30c6fa13.plist
That's it......Any chance you could email me as well. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Not a reply but another question. I'm using OSX10.3.9 and DVD player Version 4. I want to bookmark some DVD's for a talk, but when I go into 'control', the 'add bookmark' and 'edit bookmark' selection are greyed out.
Any ideas what I can do to get them to work? Thanks so much.

Reaction score

I did the exact same thing... can someone help me out with this??
I have a OS X 10.5.8...

Reaction score

I'm stuck with the same problem. Would you mind helping me out too? :)
I'm Running 10.5.8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pacifist is still what you want when you need to reinstall just a piece of the OS.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the pacifist tip. It seems great but i can't figure out how to use it to solve my problem.
Okay... So I have DVD Player 5.0.3
It won't play any of my DVDs (ERROR: -70001)
I've tried installing updates 4.6 and 4.6.1 and on selecting the destination drive i get...
(You cannot install DVD Player on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume)
Deleting DVD Player 5.0.3 doesn't solve the problem and now I'm stuck! VLC isn't working for me either.

Reaction score
DVD player not working

I'm having the exact same problem! DVD player kept crashing, so I thought I could uninstall it and then reinstall it again...problem is that it keeps saying that I already had a version of this and I couldn't install it.

RIDE, I saw that you sent judvard an archive of yours and that seemed to work...would you be ok to send that to me also?

Thanks so much! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
lol… What is the deal that so many people delete and empty the trash on the exact same app… it boggles my mind..

No one deletes iCal, or textEdit?… just DVD Player??? lol

about a month ago, someone else PM'ed me with exact same request, I sent it to them as well… be kind to your DVD player people. I'm running out of them!!! :)

npatel84.. PM me your email address.

Reaction score
Can't Install DVD Player after erasing it

Ok... I just emailed it to you... Follow the instructions to open it, and let us know if it works.

Hi Ride, i don't want to bother you, today is my new day in mac forums, i don't really know how this works, but i'm having the same trouble as the guy who posted what was happening to him and his DVD Player, it's exactly the same for me, i erased (for other reasons) there's no trace whatsoever in my computer, but still when i try installing the new downloaded version, it doesn't let me saying i already have a version in my computer.

I would really appreciate your help

thank you very much!

Reaction score
Same mistake...

I too have made the same mistake, thinking that deleting and re-installing would fix a 'DVD Player' problem. I have searched for my install disks, but since I last used them, I have moved from Denver to Argentina and then to Boston-- I'm sure they're tucked neatly in a box in one of the cities.

I'm currently using OS X 10.5.8-- is there someone, Ride or anyone else that might be able to help me? Sorry to be such a pain!:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.