Any way to use a Parallel Port printer?

Reaction score
Hola,

My wife uses an older HP OfficeJet printer with her Dell desktop. It connects with a parallel port, NOT a USB port.

If she gets a Mac, is there any way for her to use this printer? Anyone ever see an adapter that lets you use a parallel port device on a USB computer?

If not, any suggestions? :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
you need something like this, but its not guaranteed to work.

Reaction score
I have this same question, so thanks for the links. Does anyone have experience using this cable? The web site says that it's compatible with hundreds of printers (including HP, and I have the HP LaserJet 3150).

My printer is currently hooked to my desktop and it's shared across the network to my work laptop. It works seamlessly, as if it were directly connected to the laptop. If I can reverse this scenario when I get my iMac (connect the printer to my laptop, and share it the network across to the iMac), then no cable or new printer would be needed at all. Can Mac print to a shared printer that's connected to a PC on the network?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Oh, why might it not work?

We have two older HP laser printers at work, a 4000, and 4100. The way the cable works isn't an exact science, so thats why its not always going to work. It works fine with one printer, but not the other, even though they are almost identical printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.