Where do you use YOUR Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Where do you guys use your Powerbooks? Coffee shops? Library? In the middle of nowhere?

My new Powerbook sees the occasional Starbucks for PDF reading, catching up on email, word processing, etc. In the downtown area, there is Wifi everywhere, so a 'net connection is very feasible.

I also find myself taking my Powerbook onto the back porch to watch the rain and surf the web. It also goes with me to the kitchen for some streaming music and entertainment while I wait for food. ;) Gotta love wireless.

Oh...and right now, I'm writing this post from the bathroom. Can't forget that use. I even bought a little $6 foldout table just for that. :D

Lets hear it...where does yours go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PowerBook G4 1GB ram 1,33Ghz superdrive,
mostly at home....sometimes at work and school

K

KLank

I use mine all over. But we REALLY didn't need to know that you started this thread on the can. :D

T

TylerMoney

I use mine in my room, downstairds in the living room, at school, at coffe shopes, at friends houses, in cars....and definenltly in the crapper.

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've always been intrigued by mobile computing, I guess because I'm tired of sitting at my desk, looking at the same four walls each day. I like kicking back at the park, or in a coffee shop. I also bought an AC inverter for those long car rides (even though I'm usually the driver) and for wardriving.

One thing I wish I could figure out is how to automatically sync some of my laptop files with some of my PC files at home. Is there any software or scripts that can do this?

S

StarManta

Library, class, home, Game Junkie (local game store that has wifi), Skyline (next door to Game Junkie), the car (plays music, Powerbook == iPod), formerly my dorm until I moved out....

P

PowerbookG417

home, porch aswell, school, not all about the coffee shops, but in the club is awesome...im a dj and fun final scratch off my powerbook its great to have wifi in the club to link up at home if i forget to grab some tracks or download fresh new ones while in there, photoshoots, really anywhere ....i love this thing !

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerbookG417 said:
home, porch aswell, school, not all about the coffee shops, but in the club is awesome...im a dj and fun final scratch off my powerbook its great to have wifi in the club to link up at home if i forget to grab some tracks or download fresh new ones while in there, photoshoots, really anywhere ....i love this thing !

Yeah I was at a Drummatica show the other night at this club called Ohm, and the opening DJ was playing his loops and whatnot on a 12" Powerbook, which he interfaced with his mixer. In the dark club, you could see the bright Apple logo on the back of the display...it was very cool. :)

And for those of you who haven't heard of Drummatica, they're a local (Portland, Oregon) band that is frickin' AMAZING. Check them out if you can find any of their music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
TylerMoney said:
I use mine in my room, downstairds in the living room, at school, at coffe shopes, at friends houses, in cars....and definenltly in the crapper.
Ditto.

J

JazzTrpt

Now that the music building at my school has a wireless network, I never have to leave my practice room!!!!!!

S

StealthMode

I take mine everywhere, use it at school, parents place, my place, ...everywhere!

Stealth -

J

jacobdol

kitchen, bathroom, car (although I usually get motion sick), work, on the plane... cannot wait for Lufthansa’s new planes with Wi-FI connection...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
anyway and everywhere.... I've learnt not to use it at the top of a flight of stairs, especially on the 23rd floor. Anyone see a Powerbook 17" fly? I have. Not many can witness that.

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hype.it said:
anyway and everywhere.... I've learnt not to use it at the top of a flight of stairs, especially on the 23rd floor. Anyone see a Powerbook 17" fly? I have. Not many can witness that.

Ouch! Do you have any pictures of the aftermath?

S

StarManta

hype.it said:

Poor thing.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Huh? Outdoors? I must expiriance this place.

I mostly use it around my house. Sometimes at my Uncles too... someone has WiFi across the street :D

M

msSwitch

I take my Powerbook everywhere! It sits on a pedestal at work and at home (well, actually they're monitor stands) and travels with me everywhere. I'm never without online access because I can connnect my sprint phone to my PB and be online in a matter of seconds. At home it's WiFi all the way so i can sit out on the back porch and download or listen to music on iTunes, watch movies, send email, chat, and even get some work done, if the mood strikes me :)

G

gitboxnat

I got my Powerbook for my university program because it's mandatory for all students to purchase a mac, not pc. So far, I'm pleased with the Mac, however, I still use the PCs since there are a few things I still haven't figure out on the Mac that I can do on the PC.

I use my Powerbook for school work mainly, and Internet. I like how Macs look better than PCs, but it cost too much. : (

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Osiris22x said:
Ouch! Do you have any pictures of the aftermath?

Nope... sorry. But going to the apple dealer on a saturday morning with a rucksack full of shattered bits from what used to be a PB17 brought a tear to a few passerby's. They all wanted to know what happened... the engineer was just in complete shock! Specially since the machine's less than a month old.

I still have the bits... maybe when i get a decent digital cam, i'll take some pics. The engineer gave me a complete set of manuals, i guess he thought it'll be funny to reassemble the machine while i waited two weeks for the replacement. When it arrive, they sent me a PB15 with superdrive.

Well... I'm happy with a new PB. My last project covered the cost of the PB17... still it's a experience. I'm no longer curious at what a PB looks like after a flight! :D

Got any crazy glue anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.