RDC install help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig
Ok, I'm yet another new user to the Mac. I just got mine today and I'm just toying around with it. I've been forever a PC user and am now making the transition. I still want to be able to use my PC remotely like I have been from my other PCs but I'd like to do it from my new MBP. I've been trying to follow these http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/rdc_update_103.xml&secid=80&ssid=10&flgnosysreq=True
directions.

Now it says that I should use stuffit to expand the file, and I'm using Mozilla Firefox to download it. However, when I click the link to download it, Mozilla asks me what program I want to use to open the file, and I choose Stuffit Expander. The next thing I notice is that it's saved the file to my desktop and it's still in it's *.bin file format. I also downloaded the *.hqx file, and performed the same steps choosing to open the file with Stuffit expander, but yet again, I see the hqx file on my desktop. So I double-clicked on the file, now that it's on my desktop, and it asks if I want to open the file with MS Excel.

At this point, I'm not sure what I need to do. I'm trying to follow the steps on the site listed above, but they don't seem to be working.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Hello enigma,

I've run the RDC successfully on my MacBook for the past several months, so I figured I would follow the same steps you did. I used Safari for this operation.

I went to the Microsoft page you mentioned and looked under the "Download Now!" section.

When I click the link to the English language version of the client, it downloads a .dmg file which gets mounted on my desktop. The .dmg mounts, and in the folder that pops up on my screen, I have a folder called "Remote Desktop Connection" that just needs to be dragged to the Applications folder.

At no time does it ask me what I want to use to open it up. It just works, as they say. :)

When I use Firefox, I get the issue you described.

My primary recommendation: use Safari.

My recommendation if you insist on using Firefox: click on the .bin file, only instead of opening the file with StuffIt, select the option to download the file to the Desktop. Once it's on the Desktop, double-click it and it should open to a .dmg file.

Good luck!

OP
enigmafyv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig
Thank you so much. You are now my new hero. That worked like a charm. I'll remember that from here on out.

[removed due to found answer]

2nd question is, do you know of a good replacement for Ultr@VNC that will work on the Mac? I don't see a Mac version of Ultr@VNC, and I so love Ultr@ because it's so handy.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I don't have any experience with this, but several Mac users are big fans of Chicken of the VNC.

Glad to help. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
Remote Desktop Connection

Thank you so much. You are now my new hero. That worked like a charm. I'll remember that from here on out.

[removed due to found answer]

2nd question is, do you know of a good replacement for Ultr@VNC that will work on the Mac? I don't see a Mac version of Ultr@VNC, and I so love Ultr@ because it's so handy.

Thanks again.

You're my new hero, too! I was having the same problem and switching to Safari worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.