Which iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 400Mhz, 128MB RAM, 12.75GB HD
I'm in the process I've finding a new iMac to buy. But, my lack of know about iMac in general, and the fact that I can't spend more than $200 (Unless there's a super awesome deal.), creates a few problems. The only thing I need the computer to do is run AIM, Firefox, and iTunes all at once, and do a good job of it. I've found two computers that I think would be a good deal, but I don't know which one is better, anyone care to lend me a hand? :headphone

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IM600-GRAY-2B&cat=SYS

I like that one because it's all in one, and I wouldn't have to buy a monitor. However, the ancient G3 processor probably wouldn't be a good buy.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PM400-GRAY-3B&cat=SYS

I'm assuming that a G4 processor, although having 200Mhz less than the other one, is faster than a G3. Not to mention that it has twice the RAM, and a DVD-ROM Dirve. But does is burn CDs?

If there's a better deal elsewhere on the internet, please let me know. Thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
Ouch. I have to give you my opinion. I don't know where to start. hehe Not knowing if you already own a usb keyboard,mouse or monitor. I'm going to assume you don't. Starting with the old imac, I'm not in favor of all in one machines. You may never have any problem with the monitor part, but they have been know to fail. Without researching it other than the photo on the sellers web page it appears that there is no external monitor jack. If this is the case then if your monitor dies you have no computer either. If I'm wrong and there is a external jack then you can still use it with another monitor. Either way its not a good thing.
The g4 has its own quirks. One being if you want to upgrade the hard drive it has to be 135gig or smaller. There are ways to get around it. I want to tell you to buy something newer, but with your budget its not easy to do.
My advice is to read up on anything you buy. Watch the local classifieds, check out ebay. Follow the computers like the one you want and see what they actually sell for. Then you will know when you see a deal.
If you have your mind made up to buy one of the 2 you mention, (in my opinion) the g4 is what I would choose. Again this is just and opinion from someone who has to tear apart his daughters emac because the monitor portion is broken.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac I have now I've had for several years, and have yet to have any problems with it. Am I lucky??? There is an external port incase my monitor does happen to go the way of the Dodo. The G4's the better deal, eh? Hmm. Just how much faster, if at all is a 400Mhz G4 vs. a 600Mhx G3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
I'm not a tech so I cant give you the comparison of processors, but for the programs you said you were going to use I don't believe you would see the difference. The real difference as I see it is that with the g4 you will be able to update your system to tiger and upgrade the hard drive with little effort, ram is easy to change and there are processor upgrades out there for it also. so as you get the money you can increase the productivity of the g4 with out starting all over. For browsing and chat it should do you just fine as is. I know money is an issue, as is it with me. But monitors are really cheap now, I googled lcd monitors and found a 17" lcd for $139 after rebate. If you search you can find crt monitors at bargin prices. The 19" crt I'm using now cost $130 at bestbuy or circuit city a year ago. Heck, I picked up a 15" off a tree lawn that worked great. I'm sure there are others here that have opinions one way or another and are more then welcome to chime in.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You don't even get OS X with those machines.

Have a look for eMacs, Power Mac G4s and iMac G4s on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 gig G4
Well, unless I missed something and I often do. I thought this was a power mac g4 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...RAY-3B&cat=SYS . I didn't say it came with with os x, this one shows os 9 installed. I said that there were upgrades for the g4 and the g3 imac is not very upgradeable.

sorry cant get my link to work right use the one in the initial post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.