removing mail from pop server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8
Hi guys, i'm using 'mail' as my email client on os x, and i have it set up to retrieve my emails from my pop account. It works sweet.

I also use a desktop windows machine though, and have outlook configured to do the same thing on there.

Now, when outlook has downloaded my mail, it there deletes them from the server so i'm not getting the same mail again on my macbook. This is good, and as i want it.

However, if i retrieve mail on my macbook, read and delete them, i am still getting those same mails on my pc when i start it up...not the same you see.

In essence, how can i configure mail on os x to remove emails from the server once retrieved.... like it does on my outlook.

Thanks in advance, Ben.

Reaction score
Choose Mail from the menubar.

Choose Accounts.

Click "remove copy from server after retrieving a message:"
... and then choose a timeframe. Sounds like you want to choose "Right away"

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Mail.app---> Preferences---> Accounts---->Advanced----> Check "Remove copy from server...." -----use the drop down and choose "Right Away"

EDIT: Jinx-Poke

OP
LostDog4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8
Thanks Todd & Ride, exactly what i meant!

Cheers! Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No..... YOU are the man!!!

:D

Reaction score
Hi Ride, the below settings id not working with me ...
i didn't found remove copy from server check box in advanced settings. please help me .. i dont want my mails to be deleted form server once outlook reterieve it
Mail.app---> Preferences---> Accounts---->Advanced----> Check "Remove copy from server...." -----use the drop down and choose "Right Away"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
That's a very old thread you've revived there yasir!

I think your problem may be that you will not see the "Remove copy from server..." option for an IMAP account, but it is there for a POP account. So, if your accounts are set-up as IMAP you should be pretty right with the default settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.