BitTorrent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
My downloads seem to be very slow from BitTorrent, even when the files I'm downloading have a lot of seeders and few leechers. Is there any way I can optimise my download speed? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
if you are behind a firewall you need to open the ports that your client is set to use

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I am behind a firewall... but I have no idea what the rest of your sentence means. Lol. If anyone could elaborate that'd be great.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am behind a firewall... but I have no idea what the rest of your sentence means. Lol. If anyone could elaborate that'd be great.

Bittorrent is a give-and-take system, that is, the more you share, the faster you're able to download. So, you have to set your router's firewall to allow your machine to act as a server. Sitting behind a firewall, your machine is blocked from sending, so you get very little bandwidth in return from Bittorrent.

There are a number of tutorials for configuring your firewall (Google the terms: Configure, Firewall, Bittorrent). Here's an example.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for everyone's advice. I tried following a set of instructions specifically for my router (it's a Netgear MR814) - but I was altering settings on my Macbook Pro, which is not the computer that the router is connected to. I realised half-way through that that seemed a bit stupid. Should I be doing the altering on the computer that is connected to the router? I'm a bit confused. I tried to set up a static IP address as instructed, but on my MBP, and when I did it, I could no longer connect to the internet. Tried to change it back to the way the settings were originally and it told me that Airport was connected to my wireless network but that it didn't have an IP address and therefore couldn't connect to the internet. It took me a surprisingly long time to figure out that all I had to do was run the Airport setup assistant to get back online, so had a bit of a panic there. I did have a read through some of the introductory material on forwarding ports, etc, but to be honest I find it all a little confusing. The computer that I have my router connected to is an old iMac running OS 9. Should I be changing the settings on that, and would it work the same way with OS 9?

Thanks again!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for everyone's advice. I tried following a set of instructions specifically for my router (it's a Netgear MR814) - but I was altering settings on my Macbook Pro, which is not the computer that the router is connected to. I realised half-way through that that seemed a bit stupid. Should I be doing the altering on the computer that is connected to the router? I'm a bit confused. I tried to set up a static IP address as instructed, but on my MBP, and when I did it, I could no longer connect to the internet. Tried to change it back to the way the settings were originally and it told me that Airport was connected to my wireless network but that it didn't have an IP address and therefore couldn't connect to the internet. It took me a surprisingly long time to figure out that all I had to do was run the Airport setup assistant to get back online, so had a bit of a panic there. I did have a read through some of the introductory material on forwarding ports, etc, but to be honest I find it all a little confusing. The computer that I have my router connected to is an old iMac running OS 9. Should I be changing the settings on that, and would it work the same way with OS 9?

Thanks again!

The settings need to be changed on your router's configuration page. See your router manual for details on how to access its configuration page.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I realise that, and have managed to access my router page successfully, but what about the static IP address? Should I be setting that up on my MBP or the iMac that the router is connected to? Or both?

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or does a static IP address actually have to be set up? Once I managed to get my internet access working again, I still had the ports set (to 12700) on both my router configuration page and in BitTorrent. I didn't notice much difference in speed though, so I don't know whether that's all I have to do or if there's more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The computer you intend to run Bittorrent on will need to have a static IP address. Depending on what subnet your router uses (typically 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0), the settings need to be like this:

(let's say for example your router uses the 192.168.0.0 subnet)

IP Address: 192.168.0.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

If it uses the 192.168.1.0 subnet, substitute the 0 in the third octet for a 1:

IP Address: 192.168.1.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Then, set port forwarding on your router to forward all Bittorrent traffic to that static IP address.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or does a static IP address actually have to be set up? Once I managed to get my internet access working again, I still had the ports set (to 12700) on both my router configuration page and in BitTorrent. I didn't notice much difference in speed though, so I don't know whether that's all I have to do or if there's more.

You probably won't start to notice a substantial speed increase until you're sharing some files in your Bittorrent directory. The idea behind Bittorrent is to avoid "leeches", people who take but don't give. So, the more you give, the more you can take. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
You don't need to have a static IP address if your router supports UPnP. The process is automatic then and you can use DHCP

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the info.

I have changed the settings accordingly. I have to admit that I don't tend to seed an awful lot, if I am not downloading something myself - ie I don't keep the application open especially. Other than leaving files open once they have finished downloading for me, is there another way to share files (without actually making torrents myself, I mean)? I can't say I have noticed an improvement in speed since forwarding the ports, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.