Native sound recording program on OSX?

Reaction score
hi I have a powerbook with a built-in mic.
I wanted to record class lectures, and was trying to find a sound recording program for OSX 10.4.8

I was looking for a very simple, easy to use program like Windows sound recorder, where I just hit record, when i'm done I can save it and select the compression/format

Is there any native software like this hidden in the OSX? Or is there none and I would have to go search for one. If so is there any that you can recommend?

Thank you again for your time and help, much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I wondered about this as well. I couldn't find anything similar to the basic sound recorder that was included in previous versions of Mac OS. My friend suggested that Garageband might be able to record files..

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I do everything sound related in GarageBand and haven't found anything it can't do yet. It works seamlessly with iTunes so once you've recorded a track you can export it straight to iTunes (where it will be encoded in whatever format you have set iTunes to use) and from there can go straight to an iPod, streamed to your buddies or burned to a CD (or used by iDVD, iMovie etc etc etc).

Amen-Moses

OP
A
Reaction score
I also just found out

If you have Office 2004, Word has a "note-paper template" choose this instead of the "blank" template. Your layout should look like line paper with the blue lines. There is a MICROPHONE icon, click on it and you can start recording lectures!!

I gave it a test run, and it works really well because you type notes and record lecture at same time. Also anytime you click on your notes it will play what the professor was talking about while you were typing.

You can also export the audio recorded in word as AIFF, WAV, or MP4 and choose different compression sizes!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS! =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.